The human body is 60% to 75% collagen protein, which helps to keep our connective tissue strong and healthy.1 Our body produces less collagen as we age, and the result can be decreased skin elasticity and more wrinkles. Collagen consumed in whole foods or as a supplement may improve skin appearance and joint pain, according to some studies.23 While claims that collagen supplements can strengthen hair and nails have not been studied as thoroughly, there are potential benefits.
Editor’s Choice: Consumer Labs Collagen
Consumer Labs Collagen Reviews
1. Olympian Labs Biocell Collagen
- May help reduce Fine Lines & Wrinkles*
- May Improve Skin Hydration by approximately 72%*
- Can help support Joint Comfort & Mobility*
- Promotes Healthy Hair & Nail growth*
- May increase calcium absorption*
|Material Feature||GMO Free|
|Unit Count||300 Count|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||3.3 x 3.3 x 6 inches|
Olympian Labs BioCell Collagen is different from most collagens in that the molecular weight is low for easy and quick absorption to where its most needed as we age – including joints, skin, tendons, and ligaments. BioCell Collagen showed over a 12-week period improved skin moisture, a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and a significant reduction of skin dryness/scaling. BioCell Collagen contains naturally occurring hydrolyzed collagen type II, chondroitin sulfate, and hyaluronic acid in a bioactive matrix form.
The Red Label Promise
From the start, Olympian Labs has pioneered nutritional supplements free of artificial colors, sweeteners, and additives, as well as innovative powerful products to meet the needs of today’s changing lifestyle.
With our knowledge of nutrition and passion for wellness, we’ve carefully selected the finest ingredients and applied the high industry standards to make unique, therapeutic formulas supported by the latest dietary research.
Olympian Labs is dedicated to providing transparency in labeling and exceptional quality.
2. Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Complex
- All-In-One Collagen Supplement: Our collagen supplements have a blend of hydrolyzed collagen peptides from beef (bovine), marine, chicken bone broth, and eggshell membrane sources, as well as types I, II, III, V and X collagen in a small capsule form making it your one-stop-shop for your collagen needs.
- Rejuvenation: Having less collagen in your body leads to weaker bones, fragile nails, brittle hair and dry skin. Luckily, our collagen protein pills include all 5 types of collagen hydrolysate associated with an improvement in skin, hair, nails, bones, tendons, joints, and gut health.
- Vitality: Want to know the secret to a youthful complexion? Collagen regeneration stimulates the body to renew tissues and maintain a radiant skin complexion. Take care of your body and restore your youth with our Multi Collagen pills.
- High Absorption: Each collegen hydrolysate pill is enhanced with Digeseb for enhanced collagen absorption. A strong alternative to collagen powder and liquid collagen, collagen supplements are easy to swallow and small enough to hold in your pocket, handbag, or car.
- Premium Quality: Our non-GMO skin and hair collagen pills are hormone-free, gluten-free and dairy-free. Our Multi Collagen Complex supplement helps support your health, strength and beauty. Our collegen pills are both for women and men, and all of our products are manufactured in the USA in a GMP certified laboratory with global ingredients.
|Product Benefits||Hair, Skin, Nails, Joints, Anti-Aging & Digestions|
|Age Range (Description)||Teen|
|Allergen Information||Eggs, Fish|
|Material Feature||GMO Free|
|Unit Count||150 Count|
At Vital Vitamins, we believe that the best gift you can give to someone is the gift of life and good health. We specialize in creating responsibly sourced, high-quality products which ultimately encourage people to embark on a health journey and live their lives to the fullest.
Look Healthier, Feel Healthier
After water, Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body and makes up several body parts, including tendons, ligaments, skin, and muscles. Collagen makes up 80% of your skin’s structure which helps maintain skin elasticity and provides hydration. Our Multi Collagen Complex with anti-aging compounds will help you maintain a radiant, youthful skin complexion. Enjoy the benefits of having healthy hair, skin and nails.
Vital Vitamins’ Multi Collagen formula consists of Collagen type V, which is responsible for the nourishment of your hair. This powerful ingredient may support healthy hair growth and can help you embrace your authentic hair beauty.
No more brittle nails with Vital Vitamins Multi Collagen Complex, thanks to Collagen Type I, the key building block for hair, skin, nail, and teeth health – now part of our Multi Collagen Complex*. (*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.)
Say goodbye to unwanted skin texture, say hello to healthy skin! Collagen activates cells in the skin, which trigger the production of collagen and protein that makes skin more flexible.
Completely safe, convenient, and easy to use, our Multi Collagen capsules are perfect for on the go! Take them anywhere with you, in a handbag, car, or pocket. The recommended daily dose is 3 capsules, with meal or water, or as instructed by a healthcare professional.
3. Essential Elements Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder
- The Protein Your Body Needs — Taking collagen peptides provides your body with the building blocks it needs to keep you healthy.*
- Great for Men and Women — From encouraging healthier-looking skin, to maximizing the benefits of a workout, adults of all ages can benefit from taking collagen peptides.*
- Deliciously Convenient — Add Collagen Peptides to any number of drinks and foods to find exactly the taste you love. Taking your collagen is always an exercise in convenience.
- Only The Essentials — Essential elements takes pride in ensuring that you only receive the highest-quality ingredients in your supplements. Our Collagen Peptides are from grass-fed, pasture-raised cows and are hormone-free and GMO-free.
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Material Feature||GMO Free|
|Item Weight||16 Ounces|
|Unit Count||16.0 Ounce|
Essential elements hydrolyzed, type I & III Collagen Peptides are sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised, Grade A bovine, and certified hormone-free and 100% non-GMO. Containing 19 naturally occurring amino acids, Collagen Peptides are enzymatically formulated for enhanced bioavailability and absorption to support bone and joint health, strengthen hair, skin, and nails, improve gut and immune function, and benefit the body’s overall cellular structure.
Pasture-raised, grass-fed bovine Type 1 Collagen is derived from bovine bone and cartilage. The hydrolyzing process yields small, intact amino acids which are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, and used as the building blocks for new collagen production.
Essential Amino Acids
When you eat high-protein foods, your body breaks down protein into amino acids and peptides through the action of digestive enzymes. Next, these smaller chains of amino acids move from your stomach into the small intestine where they’re further broken down and released into the bloodstream to fuel your muscles, support tissue repair, and even promote brain health.
Collagen is the body’s most abundant protein, making up about 30% of its total protein molecules. It is the crucial connective tissue, that keeps your bones, tendons, ligaments, and skin in place. You can find type I collagen in your eyes, skin, tendons, bone, and teeth.
With more than 6,000 clinical studies recorded, collagen peptides have been scientifically shown to improve skin elasticity and hydration, and lessen fine lines, as well as accelerate wound healing, and may provide much needed relief and healing for those suffering from joint discomfort.
Amino acids are essential for every metabolic process, tasked with the transport and storage of all the body’s nutrients. Protein itself is constructed from smaller molecules 20 different amino acids, which are divided into those considered to be “essential” because the body can’t produce them, and “non-essential” amino acids which can be created by the body.
These amino acids, including the 8 essential amino acids have been proven to aid in muscle and ligament repair, physical flexibility and recovery, and nourishing cartilage, tendons, and joints that wear with age.
4. Physician’s CHOICE Collagen Peptides Powder
- Collagen Powder for Enhanced Absorption: Our collagen peptides are hydrolyzed and contain patented DigeSEB digestive enzymes, giving our Collagen peptides powder Improved Absorption over other collagen supplements. If you are not digesting your collagen powder properly, you're throwing money away! Stop wasting money and start feeling the many benefits of Collagen Peptides Powder with DigeSEB.
- Clean & Pure Collagen Peptides: Our hydrolyzed collagen powder is hormone-free, grass-fed, and pasture-raised. It's also all-natural, non-GMO, and contains 19 amino acids to promote vitality and support hair, skin, nails, and joints.
- Replenish, Repair & Recover - Unlike most other collagen supplements our collagen includes Digseb and 19 amino acids to help repair and replenish hair, skin, and nails along with aiding in post-workout & recovery.
- Non-GMO & Grass-fed Collagen Peptides Powder: We believe in sourcing the best collagen in the world, and we want better than great collagen. We source from premium non-GMO, grass-fed, and pasture-raised bovine, giving you the best collagen powder supplement on the market.
- Safety Assured Standard of Quality: Our Collagen Peptides Powder is 3rd-party tested for purity and made without the use of harmful additives. Our collagen is manufactured in the USA using imported and domestic ingredients. When you buy our collagen powder you can rest assured it's all-natural and ethically made.
|Product Benefits||Help improve hair, skin, nails, and joints|
|Allergen Information||Gluten Free, Milk Free, Shellfish Free|
|Material Feature||GMO Free, Gluten Free|
|Item Weight||0.75 Pounds|
|Unit Count||8.67 Ounce|
To create a superior clean collagen with optimal absorption, we use grass-fed, pasture raised, hormone & antibiotic free, hydrolyzed Type I & III collagen peptides along with DigeSEB PB, a patented digestive enzyme complex.
By using hydrolyzed collagen peptides and introducing targeted natural digestive enzymes to enhance the breakdown of the peptide chains into smaller di-peptides, tri-peptides, and amino acids, our formula increases the absorption of the beneficial amino acids across the intestinal wall and into the bloodstream. These amino acids are what provide the many benefits that collagen provides throughout the body.
Grass-fed, pasture raised
We formulated 100% pure hydrolyzed collagen peptides with a natural occurring bioavailability agent to improve absorption.
The digestive enzymes and hydrolysis process we use quickly breaks down the collagen peptides into the beneficial amino acids collagen is known for. Thus you get the true benefits of collagen without having to buy pounds of ineffective powder.
All our collagen is made from the highest quality natural, non-allergenic, Non-GMO, grass fed, hormone free collagen.
Skin & Hair
Collagen’s 19 amino acids support the health, appearance, and elasticity of your skin and promote thicker, stronger hair and nails*.
Bones & Joints
Collagen is a prominent component of the body’s connective tissues, binding cells to one another to help support the structure of muscles, joints, and bones.
Recover & Renew
Collagen protein is critical for the regeneration of muscle fibers, and therefore may speed up recovery time in the gym.
5. Dr. Emil Nutrition Multi Collagen Plus
- All-in-one super collagen blend - our bioavailable hydrolyzed collagen peptide pills feature a blend of 100% grass-fed bovine, chicken, eggshell and marine collagen sources, including Types I, II, III, V & X.
- Supports hair, skin, nails, joints, & gut health - Collagen peptides are known to promote healthy hair, improve skin elasticity, strengthen nails, improve gut health and provide support for strong ligaments and tendons.
- Provides a youthful appearance - Our doctor-derived 5-type super collagen formula is designed to support the anti-aging process by improving skin elasticity, reducing wrinkles and improving skin hydration to support a youthful appearance.
- Doctor-derived quality formula - Dr. Emil Nutrition collagen pills for women & men are made with the highest quality ingredients, manufactured in a cGMP facility and are gluten-free, non-GMO and 100% free of hype, hormones, and empty promises.
- 100% money back guarantee - Your satisfaction is our priority. All of our products are guaranteed for a full 90 days from the date of purchase.
|Brand||DR EMIL NUTRITION|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Allergen Information||Fish, Eggs|
|Material Feature||GMO Free|
|Unit Count||90 Count|
Dr. Emil Nutrition’s Multi Collagen Plus Pills have been doctor-developed to help you fuel a fuller life. Our collagen pills contain 5 separate types of collagen for maximum hair, skin, nail and joint support and contain BioPerine to help maximize absorption into the blood stream.
Our formula has been rigorously tested for quality and purity, is produced in a cGMP facility, and is at the heart of everything we do. Because we use the highest standards possible we can proudly say that Dr. Emil Nutrition Multi Collagen Plus is free of hormones, hype, dairy, gluten, GMOs, gimmicks and empty promises.
Benefits of Collagen
- Collagen has been known to support hair, skin and nail growth
- Bone and cartilage support
- Improved gut health and fullness
- Collagen breaks down into amino acids which help support muscle recovery
Great for Women & Men
Did you know that collagen is great for both men and women?
Our formula is designed for every body — men and women both! Outside of the well popularized hair, skin and nails benefits, collagen can help you bounce-back from a rigorous workout or a long run.
5 Types of Collagen
- Type I: Anti-Aging Collagen that supports Skin Elasticity, Digestion and Improves Hydration
- Type II: Supports Joints, Bones & Cartilage
- Type III: Aids Cardiovascular System and Overall Skin Hydration
- Type V: Supports Hair growth and is Vital in the Development of Other Collagen Types
- Type X: Supports Joints, Bones and Cartilage
Buying a Collagen Supplement: Things to Keep in Mind
There are a plethora of collagen supplements available for purchase if you’re interested. When looking for a high-quality supplement, keep the following factors in mind:
Many animal foods, such as beef, chicken, pork, fish, and bone broth, are high in collagen. As a registered dietitian and owner of To the Pointe Nutrition in New York, Rachel Fine, RDN, says, “When it comes to protein supplements like collagen, we first consider food sources.”
Amino acids are the building blocks of collagen, just like any other protein. We digest collagen into amino acids like lysine, methionine, glycine, and proline when we consume it. Recombining these acids to produce collagen, or combining them with other molecules, can yield a variety of compounds with various functions, depending on whether the body requires them.
Because it is necessary to synthesize the organic acid creatine, glycine is a key building block in this process. On the other hand, lysine and methionine can be used to make keratin, which supports strong and shiny hair. It is dependent on the body’s needs at any given time to determine which compounds are made.
Testing by Third Parties
There are no FDA regulations on supplements like collagen, which is why they are so popular. The presence of heavy metals like lead and cadmium in animal bones and tissues raises an issue with collagen in particular. To ensure that your supplement is safe, it must undergo a heavy metals check as well as other tests to ensure that it contains the stated amount and that it will break down properly in your body.
Consumer Lab, NSF International, and the USP are just a few of the reputable third parties that high-quality supplement manufacturers turn to for product verification.
Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) are laid out by the FDA to ensure that dietary supplements are safe and free of impurities. Manufacturers often list their products’ verifications on their websites, and they will also indicate if a product complies with GMP regulations. Product labels can include this information, depending on the brand.
The less ingredients in a supplement, the better. There should be no preservatives or added sugar in the main ingredient (collagen). To put it simply, you’ll get more of what you want from your supplement and less (or no) fillers that you do not require.
Collagen powder, according to the Cleveland Clinic, should have no taste, color, or texture, and it should dissolve easily in water. These characteristics increase the likelihood that the supplement does not contain any additional ingredients.
Type and Amount of the Medication
Adding collagen to smoothies, juices, or even muffins is a simple way to incorporate it into your diet. The usual dosage for powdered collagen peptides is between 10 and 20 grams. For a powder, it’s appropriate.
Collagen is also available in capsule and gummy form. Different kinds of collagen can be used to make these. For example, Consumer Lab recommends taking 40 milligrams of UC-II collagen per day.
Gummies typically have a lower collagen content than powders. You should keep this in mind when you’re looking for a gummy supplement because the formulations can be difficult to make and nutrients can degrade over time, Consumer Lab reports.
Why collagen is a waste of money?
Collagen protein isn’t a good source of protein for building muscle because it’s low in essential amino acids—and leucine in particular—compared to other, much tastier and more affordable foods like beef, fish, chicken, and whey protein.
Does collagen make you gain weight?
No, collagen does not cause you to gain weight. Collagen won’t cause you to explode with such massive increases of muscle in the gym that you’ll put on twenty pounds of muscle, and aside from helping you build muscle, there’s nothing in a collagen supplement that would cause you to gain weight.
Is collagen harmful to the kidneys?
In general, collagen supplements aren’t recommended for those at a high risk of developing kidney stones. That said, consuming collagen in moderation as part of a healthy diet is unlikely to cause kidney stones for most people.
Although there is still a lack of substantial scientific evidence to support claims that most collagen supplements and serums improve the skin, many dermatologists and physicians do promote the continued use of these products for more youthful looking skin. Many consumers have also reported satisfaction with the effectiveness, gentleness, and price of products containing hyaluronic acid vs. collagen –especially considering these benefits may not be worth the high cost of prescription dermal fillers.