No one wants to drink mouthwash — but, who wants to have bad breath?
Using the best tasting mouthwash is important for being confident in your smile. If you are searching for tasting mouthwash cleaning products then review our website where we spent more than two years testing and comparing the top quality tasting mouthwash products on the market today.
We’ve done some research on the top-tasting mouthwashes of 2022 and created this in-depth buying guide to help you find the perfect fit, no matter your budget.
Using the right mouthwash can support dental health and make your smile the most radiant. Mouthwash is able to reach parts of your mouth that brushing and flossing might miss, making it an effective tool for treating conditions such as:
- bad breath
- dry mouth
- yellow or discolored teeth
- receding gums
Best Tasting Mouthwash Reviews:
1. Listerine Total Care Alcohol-Free Anticavity Fluoride Mouthwash
Give your mouth complete oral care with Listerine Total Care Zero Alcohol-Free Fluoride Anticavity mouthwash. Listerine Total Care Zero provides the same six dental hygiene benefits in one as Listerine Total Care Fluoride Anticavity Mouthwash but in a less intense, alcohol-free mouthwash formula.
With up to 2.4x the fluoride uptake than Act mouthwash brand**, this daily fluoride oral rinse formula helps prevent dental cavities by providing 50% greater strengthening of weakened enamel vs. brushing alone*. It freshens breath, kills 99% of germs that cause bad breath, cleans your whole mouth.
From the #1 dentist-recommended brand of over the counter mouthwashes, this mouthwash for bad breath in Fresh Mint flavor gives your mouth a clean feeling you can taste, all with a zero alcohol formula. *In laboratory studies **In laboratory tests compared to Act Anticavity Fluoride Mouthwash, Act Total Care Anticavity Fluoride Mouthwash.
|Material Type Free||Alcohol Free|
|Liquid Volume||1 Liters|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium Fluorid|
Same 6 in 1 Benefits with a Less Intense Taste
No other mouthwash is more complete than Listerine Total Care Zero Alcohol-Free Anticavity Mouthwash.* Every member of the family has their very own oral care needs. With the same six benefits in one as Listerine Total Care Anticavity Mouthwash, but in a less intense, alcohol-free mouthwash formula, Listerine Total Care Zero is a simple solution to keep them all taken care of.**
This rinse delivers six benefits to clean your whole mouth, kill bad breath germs, prevent cavities, restore enamel, freshen breath, and strengthen teeth. The Fresh Mint flavor gives your mouth a clean, fresh feeling in a less intense taste.
1-liter bottle of Listerine Total Care Zero alcohol-free fluoride anticavity mouthwash in Fresh Mint flavor to improve oral health by helping to prevent cavities, strengthening teeth, and leaving a refreshing, clean feeling
Fluoride mouthwash offers six dental hygiene benefits in one oral rinse to kill 99% of germs that cause bad breath, strengthen enamel, help prevent cavities, restore enamel, clean your mouth and freshen breath
50% GREATER STRENGTHENING OF TEETH
Alcohol-free mouthwash freshens breath while providing 50% greater strengthening of weakened enamel vs. brushing alone, according to lab studies
PROTECTS DAY AND NIGHT
From the #1 dentist-recommended brand of over the counter mouthwashes, protect your teeth by adding a 60-second rinse of this ADA-Accepted anticavity mouthwash to your morning and evening oral care routines
REFRESHING MINT FLAVOR
With approximately 7 weeks of supply, zero alcohol mint mouthwash helps prevent tooth decay while leaving a fresh mint flavor for a fresh clean feeling you can taste.
2. TheraBreath Fresh Breath Dentist Formulated
Praised for its ability to attack and eliminate embarrassing breath odor, the patented TheraBreath formula in Fresh Breath Oral Rinse uses the power of oxygen to target bad-breath-causing bacteria deep below the surface of the tongue and at the back of the throat. This refreshing, alcohol-free antibacterial cleanser rinse doesn’t burn or sting, so it’s easy to use every day.
TheraBreath Icy Mint Oral Rinse is certified kosher, gluten-free and vegan. It is also free of dyes, perfumes, detergents, and other harsh additives that can dry or damage the mouth. TheraBreath Fresh Breath Oral Rinse is our flagship product and has been dentist- and pharmacist-recommended for more than 20 years. TheraBreath Fresh Breath Oral Rinse is an ADA approved product and has become one of the United States’ best-selling speciality oral hygiene treatments.
Fresh Breath Oral Rinse by Dr. Katz attacks sulfur-producing bacteria, morning breath, and food odor. In fact, clinical studies have verified that TheraBreath is extremely effective at attacking bad breath odor for up to 24 hours. This powerful mouthwash eliminates even the most severe cases of bad breath or halitosis (which is the scientific name for this condition).
Dr. Katz’s proven oral rinse formula does not contain alcohol, artificial flavors, or colors. It is also pH-balanced to maintain a non-acidic environment in the mouth, which reduces burning and enamel erosion, while preventing tooth sensitivity. This product is safe to use twice daily and is available without a prescription. This product is sold as a pack of two 16-ounce bottles and is also available in a Mild Mint flavor that is easy on sensitive teeth and gums. As with all our products. or your money back!
|Material Type Free||Gluten Free|
Fight and Breath
Our Fresh Breath Oral Rinse is a dentist-formulated mouthwash that targets sulfur-producing bacteria to help Fight and Breath. Clinically proven to be effective for up to 24 hours
Our Icy Mint mouthwash uses clinically-proven oxygenating ingredients to help fight the bacteria that cause bad breath odor and stop sour, bitter, and metallic tastes in your mouth
Premium Oral Care
Our solution-oriented line of toothpastes, mouthwashes, breath sprays, tonsil stone kits, pet care products, and more can help your whole family get the oral hygiene support you need
TheraBreath’s line of dentist-formulated toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other products are designed to help address halitosis, cavity prevention, gum disease, and more
Started in 1994 by dentist Dr. Harold Katz, TheraBreath has continued to innovate, delivering an extensive line of the highest-quality oral care products for you and your family
3. ACT Restoring Fluoride Mouthwash
Help protect your teeth from weakening enamel and tooth decay with ACT Restoring Fluoride Mouthwash, Strengthens Tooth Enamel, Cool Mint. This mouth rinse is designed to help strengthen tooth enamel, remineralize soft spots, prevent cavities and freshen breath. In fact, anticavity rinses like ACT Restoring Mouthwash are up to 70% more effective at reducing cavities versus brushing with a fluoride toothpaste alone. This ACT Restoring Mouthwash comes in a Cool Mint flavor and contains 11% alcohol. When it comes to strong smiles, trust the No. 1 dentist recommended fluoride brand. Among mouth rinses.
|Liquid Volume||33.8 Fluid Ounces|
|Product Benefits||Freshen Breath|
Superior Cavity Protection
Formulated to strengthen teeth and prevent tooth decay, this fluoride mouthwash is alcohol free and comes in three invigorating flavors: Mint, Cinnamon, and Arctic Blast.
Help fight cavities with ACT Restoring Mouthwash. It strengthens enamel by remineralizing soft spots for up to 4x stronger teeth. Choose from alcohol-free Mint Burst or invigorating Cool Mint.
Kills Bad Breath Germs
Kiss bad breath goodbye! ACT Total Care Mouthwash provides the same anticavity protection you expect, plus it kills bad breath germs.
Swish once a day with Zero Alcohol Fresh Mint or invigorating Icy Clean Mint to prevent cavities, strengthen teeth, and freshen breath.
Removes Surface Stains
See a whiter smile in four days.* This anticavity mouthwash helps remove surface stains with every swish, plus strengthens enamel and kills bad breath germs.
The dye-free and alcohol-free formula comes in Gentle Mint Flavor.
Out of all fluoride mouth rinses, ACT is the #1 dentist recommended brand.** It’s designed to strengthen enamel for up to 4x stronger teeth.*
Protects Against Cavities
ACT Fluoride Mouthwash helps you go beyond brushing to prevent tooth decay. It strengthens teeth to deliver superior cavity protection.
So fresh, so clean! All ACT Anticavity Mouthwashes are designed to bust bad breath every time you rinse.
4. Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White Multi-Care
Rinse your way to a glamorous smile. Put the finishing touches on your morning smile routine with Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White Whitening Mouthwash. It’s designed with a triple-action formula that whitens teeth, prevents surface stains, and freshens breath. Its exclusive Whitelock Technology acts as a whitening protector that helps prevent new stains from forming.
3D White Luxe Glamorous White whitening mouthwash is enhanced by your full teeth brushing routine. That means, you’ll see a whiter smile in just 2 days if you are rinsing with Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White mouthwash and brushing with a 3D White Pro-Flex toothbrush and 3D White Luxe Glamorous White toothpaste together. Combined with the refreshing taste of Fresh Mint, 3D White Luxe Glamorous White mouthwash is the perfect way to stylize your smile.
|Liquid Volume||946 Milliliters|
|Active Ingredients||Hydrogen Peroxide|
- Exclusive Whitelock Technology helps protect against future stains.
- Triple-action** formula whitens by removing surface stains.**Triple-action benefits: 1. Whitens teeth 2. Protects against surface stains 3. Kills bad breath germs.
- Protects against future stains. Suggested Age: 12 Years and Up
- Whitens smile in 2 days*.*Whitens teeth by removing surface stains when using Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White toothpaste, 3D White mouthwash and Oral-B 3D White Pro-Flex toothbrush together
- Fresh Mint flavor freshens breath.
5. Colgate Total Alcohol Free Mouthwash for Bad Breath
Colgate Total 12HR Pro-Shield Mouthwash doesn’t just freshen breath, it provides 12-hour protection against germs, even after eating and drinking, helping to keep your mouth healthy and fresh. It kills 99% of germs on contact, significantly reduces plaque, and helps prevent the gum disease gingivitis. Colgate Total 12HR Pro-Shield Mouthwash is an alcohol-free mouthwash (does not contain ethanol) and has a refreshing Peppermint Blast flavor.
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Alcohol Free|
|Liquid Volume||101.4 Fluid Ounces|
- Antiseptic Mouthwash Provides 12-Hour Protection Against Germs After Eating and Drinking
- Kills 99% of Germs on Contact
- Significantly Reduces Plaque
- Oral Care That Helps Prevent Gingivitis
- Alcohol Free Mouthwash – No Burn of Alcohol (Does Not Contain Ethanol)
6. CloSYS Sensitive Mouthwash
Why does most mouthwashes burn and irritate? It doesn’t have to hurt to be effective. With CloSYS Mouthwashes you can protect your mouth from harmful bad breath germs and freshen your breath without the painful burn. CloSYS is one of the first mouthwashes to receive the American Dental Association seal for reducing bad breath.
This gentle but powerful mouthwash is perfect for all ages because its patented formula is pH balanced and so gentle you’ll actually use it longer for better results. A 30-second rinse in the morning and evening after each brushing is easy, and all it takes to get great results. CloSYS Sensitive Mouthwash comes mildly flavored with a touch of gentle mint. Nothing overpowering or painful. Just a clean, fresh, soothing mouthwash you’ll actually use because CloSYS is the Gentlest Oral Care Ever.
|Material Type Free||Dye Free, Triclosan Free, Sulfate Free, Gluten Free, Alcohol Free|
|Liquid Volume||32 Fluid Ounces|
- Contains 1- 32 ounce bottle of CloSYS Sensitive Mouthwash in Gentle Mint flavor
- Advanced oral care benefits without the burn or irritation – Made for sensitive mouths
- Naturally activated and pH balanced
- Received ADA Seal for reducing bad breath. Not a cover-up.
- Alcohol-free, Sulfate-free, triclosan-free, and gluten-free
7. Biotene Oral Rinse Mouthwash for Dry Mouth
Biotene Fresh Mint Mouthwash is an ideal oral rinse for immediate relief of dry mouth symptoms when used as part of your daily oral health care routine. Formulated using a mouth moisturizing system, this dry mouth mouthwash provides up to four hours of soothing, lubricating relief from dry mouth symptoms, including bad breath, stickiness in the mouth, dryness in the mouth, and chapped lips. This gentle sugar free and alcohol free mouthwash for dry mouth has a fresh mint flavor that freshens breath while working to keep your mouth clean and at a healthy, balanced pH. Simply rinse your mouth with 15 mL of Biotene mouthwash up to five times daily or as directed by a healthcare professional. Biotene oral mouthwash is formulated for adults and children 12 years and older. For long-lasting relief of dry mouth symptoms, choose Biotene, the Number 1 dry mouth brand trusted by dentists.
|Material Type Free||Alcohol Free, Sugar Free|
|Liquid Volume||33.8 Fluid Ounces|
What is Dry Mouth?
Dry Mouth is a condition where your mouth feels uncomfortably dry. It can happen when your body doesn’t produce enough saliva to keep your mouth moist. Symptoms vary from person to person and can range from being mild to severe. Common symptoms may include dryness in your mouth, a sticky feeling in the mouth, bad breath, feeling thirsty, difficulty swallowing or eating dry foods. Dry Mouth can be uncomfortable, and left untreated it can have consequences on your oral health. It may result in a greater risk of cavities and mouth infections.
- One 33.8 fl oz bottle of Biotene Oral Rinse Mouthwash for Dry Mouth, Breath Freshener and Dry Mouth Treatment, Fresh Mint
- Formulated with a mouth moisturizing system that soothes and lubricates
- Biotene dry mouth oral rinse provides up to four hours of relief from dry mouth symptoms
- Dry mouth rinse provides immediate symptom relief while helping maintain a balanced pH in the mouth
- Alcohol free and sugar free mouthwash refreshes as it moisturizes
- Breath freshener and moisturizing mouthwash with fresh mint flavor
- Use with other dry mouth products as part of a regular oral care routine
How to choose Best Tasting mouthwash
There are two types of mouthwashes: cosmetic and therapeutic.
Cosmetic mouthwashes control bad breath temporarily and leave a pleasant taste in your mouth.
Therapeutic mouthwashes include ingredients that provide long-lasting bacterial reduction and can be used for conditions such as receding gums, gingivitis, dry mouth, and plaque buildup. They’re available over-the-counter and by prescription.
What do you want your mouthwash for?
When choosing a mouthwash, the first thing to consider is your personal oral health goals.
- Bad breath. If your main concern is bad breath, using a cosmetic mouthwash on the go during the day may be sufficient for increasing your confidence during that important afternoon meeting.
- Dry mouth. If you’re taking medications or have a condition that produces dry mouth as a side effect, using a mouthwash designed to provide oral comfort for many hours at a time may be your best bet.
- Plaque or gum issues. Other conditions, such as plaque buildup, receding gums, and gingivitis can be addressed by choosing mouthwashes containing fluoride, or those with other active ingredients that fight bacteria.
- Price per ounce. Cost may be another factor to consider. Take a look at the price and the number of fluid ounces each bottle of mouthwash contains. Packaging can sometimes be deceiving. Buying larger bottles or in bulk can sometimes reduce the price per ounce, making the mouthwash cheaper in the long run.
- ADA Seal of Acceptance. Check the mouthwash label for the ADA Seal of Acceptance. It means that it’s been tested for effectiveness. Not every mouthwash has it, including some with well-known names.
Look for these ingredients
It’s important to take a close look at the ingredient list. Many products have multiple ingredients geared to treat specific conditions or overall dental health. Some ingredients in mouthwash to look for include:
- Fluoride. This ingredient fights tooth decay and strengthens enamel.
- Cetylpyridinium chloride. This eliminates bad breath and kills bacteria.
- Chlorhexidine. This reduces plaque and controls gingivitis.
- Essential oils. Some mouthwashes contain compounds found in essential oils, such as menthol (peppermint), eucalyptus, and thymol (thyme), which have antifungal and antibacterial properties
- Carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. This ingredient whitens teeth.
Unless they’re designed specifically for young children, most mouthwashes are meant for those who are 6 years old and up. Children older than 6 who might swallow mouthwash should be supervised during their use.
Before purchasing mouthwash for your child, it’s a good idea to check with their dentist.
Mouthwash containing alcohol may not be suitable for people who are trying to avoid alcohol.
Mouthwash can be used to control bad breath and reduce cavities. It can also help to combat conditions such as receding gums, gingivitis, dry mouth, and plaque buildup.
Mouthwash should be used in addition to brushing and flossing. It’s important to use a mouthwash that has the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
Hopefully, by now we’ve convinced you to try our picks for the best Tasting mouthwash. But don’t just take our word for it—pick one up the next time you shop, and see how you feel. You’ll be surprised at how well certain mouthwashes can clean your teeth and freshen your breath. And best of all, there are plenty to choose from.