What tips do you have for choosing the best probiotics for bad breath? Well, it all depends on why you think you have bad breath in the first place. If your bad breath is caused by bacterial growth, find products that contain a combination of strains like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis. That said, if your bad breath comes from toxins released by bacteria that colonizes inside gum tissue and between teeth, look for a product with Saccharomyces boulardii.
Best Probiotics For Bad Breath Reviews
1. Replenish The Good Dental Probiotic
- ORAL PROBIOTIC TO IMPROVE UPPER RESPIRATORY & ORAL HEALTH- Do you often get strep throat or other upper respiratory, and deal with bad breath that gum and mouthwash can’t resolve? Do you struggle with tooth decay or gingivitis despite using toothpaste targeting these problems? Your oral bacteria is likely out of balance.
- ORAL HEALTH AND BAD BREATH TREATMENT- Our Dental formula helps destroy bad breath so the good kind can create a healthy mouth environment, providing halitosis treatment. Bad breath pills only cover the symptoms, not cure them. Studies have indicated that the use of probiotic products in the mouth leads to a suppression of foul-smelling gases along with reduction of bacteria that produces odor, and with regular use helps resolve the health issues causing bad breath.
- PROTECT YOUR GUMS AND TEETH- Studies show certain bacteria strains help protect your teeth and gums. Our Dental probiotic includes BLIS M-18, which helps reduce halitosis because it eradicates the odor causing
- CLINICALLY RESEARCHED STRAINS. Our Dental formula has an optimal balance of each of the following strains for daily supplementation: Lactobacillus paracasei (L. paracasei), Lactobacillus reuteri (L. reuteri), and clinically researched BLIS K-12 (Streptococcus salivarius), BLIS M-18 (Streptococcus salivarius) strains.
- SUPERIOR SHELF LIFE. Probiotics are only beneficial if they survive. Our Dental formula has LiveBac Patented Processing, which extends shelf life to 18 months w/o refrigeration.
|Brand||Replenish the Good|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Material Feature||Sugar Free|
|Unit Count||60 Count|
Do you often get strep throat or other upper respiratory infections, and deal with bad breath that gum and mouthwash can’t resolve? Do you struggle with tooth decay or gingivitis despite using toothpaste targeting these problems? Your oral bacteria is likely out of balance. Our Dental probiotic replenishes the good bacteria in your mouth and throat to support your ability to fight infections, reduce bad breath, and periodontitis, and prevent tooth decay.
Clinical studies indicate certain probiotic bacteria strains, like the four contained in our formula, may prevent and treat oral health problems that are associated with bacteria. These include gingivitis, bleeding gums, bad breath, tooth decay, and periodontitis. May reduce bad breath from halitosis and boost the immune system to reduce occurrences of infections in the ear, nose, and throat.
Replenish the Good Dental Improves Your Oral Health
From cavities to bad breath and periodontitis, many oral problems have their roots in undesirable bacteria building up in your oral cavity. By introducing good bacteria in the mouth through our Dental probiotic, the amount of harmful bacteria is significantly reduced and good bacteria restored, which improves the health of the mouth environment.
3 Billion CFU & 4 strains were selected based on extensive clinical data regarding oral health benefits. Our proprietary Dental formula has an optimal balance of CFU count for each strain to help ensure enough good bacteria survive. Contains L. paracasei, L. reuteri, BLIS K-12 & BLIS M-18 (particular S. salivarius strains).
The patented LiveBac process extends shelf life to 18 months from the date of manufacture without refrigeration. Most companies won’t tell you how many viable bacteria will be left at expiration because often there are none left! Replenish the Good Dental has 3 billion CFU at the manufacturer and 1 billion CFU at expiration, which is 18 months from the manufacture date.
Only the Best Ingredients
Made in the USA with natural ingredients. Non-GMO, Vegetarian, Yeast-free; No Lactose, No Soy, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Nuts, No Eggs, No Shellfish, No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Sugar, No Artificial Colors or Flavors.
2. Chewable Oral Probiotics for Mouth — Bad Breath Treatment Supplement
- 𝗔𝗗𝗩𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘𝗗 𝗢𝗥𝗔𝗟 𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗟𝗧𝗛 𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗧𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 — Dr. Paul O'Malley's blend of protective oral probiotics is a powerful defense against “bad” cultures to help you maintain a healthy mouth.
- 𝗙𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧𝗦 𝗕𝗔𝗗 𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗛 & 𝗦𝗨𝗣𝗣𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗦 𝗜𝗠𝗠𝗨𝗡𝗜𝗧𝗬 — Our oral probiotic works nonstop to attack bad breath at its source and restore healthy gums and teeth. By naturally controlling "bad" cultures, it restores a healthy, non-acidic pH to your mouth. It also works to support and strengthen your immune system. 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝘂𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝟴𝟯 𝗣𝗔𝗚𝗘 𝗢𝗥𝗔𝗟 𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗟𝗧𝗛 𝗲𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸!
- 𝗖𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗬 𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗘𝗔𝗥𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗗 𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗜𝗡𝗦 — A powerful blend of dental probiotics packed with 7 potent strains of probiotics: the patented BLIS K12 and BLIS M18, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Reuteri, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Lactobacillus Paracasei, Lactobacillus Thermophilus, and Streptococcus Salivarius.
- 𝗟𝗢𝗡𝗚𝗘𝗥 𝗦𝗛𝗘𝗟𝗙 𝗟𝗜𝗙𝗘 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗡𝗢 𝗥𝗘𝗙𝗥𝗜𝗚𝗘𝗥𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 𝗡𝗘𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗔𝗥𝗬 — Great Oral Health oral probiotics are made to exacting standards in a premier USA manufacturing lab. They DO NOT require refrigeration. Restoring a healthy mouth takes time and for best results they must be taken correctly–but no worries, just click on "seller" above and message us with any questions that you have. 100% Money back guarantee.
- 𝗢𝗥𝗔𝗟 𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗕𝗜𝗢𝗧𝗜𝗖 𝗦𝗨𝗣𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧 — Our chewable oral probiotics are VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE, and LACTOSE-FREE with a natural, SUGAR-FREE mint flavor. It has no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners and is 100% FLUORIDE and BLEACH-FREE. Unlike other cheap halitosis cures or bad breath treatments, these will not leave a metallic aftertaste or deaden your taste buds.
|Brand||Great Oral Health|
|Product Benefits||Oral Care|
|Allergen Information||Milk, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Wheat Free|
|Material Feature||Gluten Free|
|Unit Count||60.00 Count|
To be effective, ORAL PROBIOTICS MUST PENETRATE and COLONIZE your MICROBIOME: We engineered our oral probiotics with a MILD CHALKINESS to boost the effectiveness of the GOOD CULTURES to LOCK ON, DIG IN and go to work.
A FULL SPECTRUM of SEVEN Top Oral Probiotic Strains: Unlike other oral probiotics, we use the synergy of 7 POTENT STRAINS of oral probiotics to build a healthy ecology in your oral cavity for effective breath treatment. Looking for the powerful BLIS K12 | BLIS M18 strains? We have a big dose of those, plus 5 others, to restore your oral ecology and improve your health.
CHARGE UP YOUR IMMUNE DEFENSES–Our oral probiotic blend contains the key probiotics that clinical studies have shown to really boost your oral immune system. HIT BAD BREATH IN ITS HOME: Food remains and other icky stuff feed certain cultures in your mouth. These cultures then produce very offensive sulfur gases that are the main cause of bad breath. Mouthwashes are only temporary cover-ups.
DRY MOUTH AND IMMUNE SUPPORT: Saliva flow is very, very important for good oral health. Our oral probiotics are effective for restoring saliva flow to a healthy level, which is beneficial for dry mouth. The special formulation works to repair and remineralize your teeth. Developed by a Holistic Dentist with a global mission to revolutionize oral health!
3. WILD FUEL Dental Probiotics for Fresh Breath
- Confidence in a tin. Put bad breath and mask breath worries behind you. A single chewable tablet provides 3 billion colony forming units to reinforce existing healthy bacteria - overwhelming the bad.
- Way beyond fresh breath. Most dental products, like mints, gums, and sprays focus on disguising problems. These probiotics provide overall dental health support, rather than just hiding issues.
- More than a mint. A high-potency top-up of the good bacterial biome in your mouth. The key players are L Paracasei, Reuteri, Sakei, Salivarius which maintain PH and microbial balance.
- Plus surprising extras. Dental health is closely linked to a wide range of other regular functions. Probiotics can benefit general, respiratory, digestive, and ear, nose and throat health.
- Natural benefits. Leaving out any chemical-nasties means these tablets won’t dry out your tongue or unsettle your stomach. Sugar-free and subtly sweetened with stevia.
|Material Feature||Sugar free, Vegetarian, Cruelty|
|Unit Count||45.00 Count|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||3.74 x 2.36 x 0.79 inches|
If you’re concerned about bad breath, we’ve got you covered. WILD FUEL Dental Probiotics for Fresh Breath is a great way to support your oral health and improve bad breath. One chewable tablet provides 3 billion colony forming units (CFUs) of Lactobacillus (Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. casei strain Shirota) – the main ingredient in WILD FUEL Oral Probiotics. As well as coating the teeth with saliva and washing away bacteria, it reinforces existing healthy bacteria that are already present in the mouth by overwhelming the bad stuff.
Keep Your Mouth Healthy
Fresh breath is no longer a given, but don’t despair: WILD FUEL Dental Probiotics go way beyond freshening up. They are high in concentration so one tablet is all you need to start feeling the difference. The true power is in the active cultures which go to work to keep your mouth healthy. Not just by cleaning it of nasty offenders like Candida albicans or bad diet-related bacteria, but also by boosting its natural resistance mechanisms against disease-causing pathogens such as S Mutans Streptococci and E Strains
For the first time, there is a probiotic for dental health that has been clinically tested to show it can reduce bad breath. Wild Fuel Dental Probiotics for Fresh Breath are a unique blend of probiotic strains that replace these beneficial bacteria, re-stabilizing intestinal flora levels and controlling odour producing bacteria in the mouth.
4. NatureWise Oral Health Chewable Probiotics
- SCIENCE-BACKED BENEFITS: Featuring 12 oral probiotic strains — 3x more than the leading brand — including BLIS K12 & M18, which are clinically shown to promote dental and upper respiratory health.
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- ADVANCED ORAL PROTECTION: Strong clinical research shows that dental probiotics can help strengthen your natural resistance to invasive organisms that are often responsible for common problems with teeth, gums, and breath.
- UPPER RESPIRATORY IMMUNITY: Active culture can also influence upper respiratory health. BLIS K12 has been clinically studied in both children and adults and shown to significantly boost ear, nose, and throat immune defenses.
- NATURAL PROBIOTIC SUPPLEMENT: Our chewable oral probiotics are non-GMO, vegetarian, and gluten-free with a natural, sugar-free mint flavor and no artificial additives, colors, or flavors. All NatureWise supplements are manufactured in USA.
|Product Benefits||Immune Support|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Allergen Information||Gluten Free, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Wheat Free|
|Material Feature||GMO Free, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Sugar Free|
|Unit Count||50 Count|
ADVANCED PROTECTION ORAL CARE Invasive culture strains are often responsible for common problems with teeth and gums and even ear, nose, and throat complaints. Mouthwashes that kill these intruders may temporarily reduce these “bad” cultures, but they can also reduce the “good” cultures that help keep harmful organisms in check.
NatureWise Oral Health Probiotics are intelligently formulated with 12 targeted strains to protect against occasional bad breath and boost your natural immune defenses for optimal dental and upper respiratory health.
IMMUNE SUPPORT FOR EAR, NOSE, & THROAT HEALTH Studies confirm that S. salivarius, found naturally in the mouths of healthy individuals, is one of the most beneficial culture strains for healthy teeth and gums—but not all S. salivarius exerts the same powerful benefits. BLIS K12 and BLIS M18 are patented strains clinically researched to help protect against the formation of dental plaque and significantly boost ear, nose, and throat immune defenses, all in one fresh-tasting chewable tablet.
Ingredients: Oral Health Probiotic Blend: S. salivarius K12; S. salivarius M18; L. casei, subsp. casei; L. paracasei, Lpc-37; L. plantarum; L. reuteri; L. salivarius; B. lactis, BI-04; L. rhamnosus, GG; B. breve, Bb-03; B. infantis; S. thermophilus Other Ingredients: Isomalt, inulin, glyceryl behenate, natural spearmint flavor, dicalcium phosphate, stevia leaf extract.”
Advanced Protection for Teeth & Gums
Our formula includes clinically tested probiotic strains shown to colonize and persist in the mouth, where they help break up dental plaque, neutralize lactic acid, and inhibit invasive organisms that cause harm to teeth and gums. Together with good oral hygiene, NatureWise Oral Health Probiotics provides advanced protection for teeth and gums.
Long-Lasting Fresh Breath
Invasive culture strains such as P. gingivalis and F. nucleatum produce malodorous byproducts that can leave you with bad breath. While mouthwash and breath mints may temporarily mask the odor, NatureWise Oral Health Probiotics works by inhibiting the strains responsible for bad breath, helping to proactively promote long-lasting fresh breath.
Ear, Sinus & Throat Health
ENT complaints are one of the most common reasons for doctor visits. An imbalance in oral and sinus active cultures can leave you vulnerable to ear, throat, or upper respiratory health problems. NatureWise Oral Health Probiotics begins working in the mouth to boost natural immune defenses and help promote ENT and upper respiratory health in both children and adults.
First Line of Immune Defense
The mouth is one of the first entry points for invasive organisms to enter the body, and the beneficial active cultures that live there serve as our first line of defense against invasive organisms. NatureWise Oral Health Probiotics support your immunity by helping to maintain a healthy oral environment, providing more beneficial species to crowd out harmful intruders.
Nature is Smart. We Can Prove it.
Our supplements are made with clean, natural, clinically researched ingredients that deliver real benefits — including branded ingredients that have been tested for safety and efficacy.
We draw on cutting-edge research to harness nature’s intelligence for a healthier body, mind, and nervous system — and create smart, plant-based products that support your well-being by working with nature, not against it.
Natural Support for a Life Well Lived
Wellness isn’t just about living longer — it’s about living better. You want to feel your best so that you can unfold your true potential and enjoy your life to the fullest — it’s only natural.
At NatureWise, we believe that true well-being is created from the inside out. Our supplements are designed to work with your body’s natural intelligence and your own positive life choices to support your well-being and inspire your best life.
Put Good In, Get Good Out
“When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” –Eleanor Brown
When our needs are met, we have more to offer to the people around us. Self-care is the foundation from which we can branch out into caring for the people around us and the planet we live on for a kinder, greener, more harmonious world.
5. Burst Dental Probiotic for Oral Health
- Combats Bad Breath and Tonsil Stones: Helps stop bad breath in its tracks by hitting it at the source. Our proprietary blend of probiotic strains feed healthy bacteria and fight bacteria causing bad breath.
- Supports Natural Immune System Defenses: Helps keep your immune system stay fighting fit
- Supports Overall Health: Powerful and targeted, our unique & potent blend contains one of the highest concentrations of BLIS K12 & BLIS M-18 available on the market.
- Easy chewable tablet & longer shelf life: Dissolvable lozenge that is super easy for both men & women. Each bottle contains 45 tablets and will last you for six weeks. Our manufacturing partner’s highly specialized processes ensure your probiotics are active and shelf stable without refrigeration for up to 18 months.
- Mindful-Clean Ingredients: No artificial flavors, no artificial sweeteners, lactose-free, nut-free, gluten-free, soy-free, nightshade free, keto friendly, vegetarian, and a non-GMO formula carefully blended in the USA. K12 & M18 help establish and maintain a healthy bacterial balance in the mouth and upper respiratory tract.
|Special Ingredients||BLIS -K18, BLIS K-12 BLIS M-18|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Allergen Information||Gluten Free|
|Material Feature||Sugar Free, Lactose Free, Gluten Free, GMO Free, Shellfish Free, MSG Free, Egg free, No Artificial Preservatives, No Artificial Flavors, No Artificial ColorsSugar Free, Lactose Free, Gluten Free, GMO Free, Shellfish Free, MSG Free, Egg free, No Artificial Preservatives, No Artificial Flavors, No Artificial Colors.|
|Item Weight||4.16 Ounces|
|Unit Count||45.00 Count|
Burst Dental Probiotic for Oral Health is a powerful probiotic supplement that provides support for oral health. The probiotic strain BLIS K12 has been clinically proven to reduce oral biofilm bacteria by 50% in just 7 days. Oral health is important for overall wellness, because without good oral health, we can leave ourselves vulnerable to other illnesses including colds and flus. Solving one area of your health will make you feel better throughout the body; not just your mouth!
What is BLIS K12 & BLIS M-18 ?
BLIS K12 has been proven to reduce the bacteria that produce bad breath. Clinical studies showed substantial reductions in over 85% of patients in just a 3 day period. It also feeds the healthy bacteria that live in your gut, which helps support your immune system
BLIS M18 produces a super friendly enzyme called dextranase which disrupts the development of Mutans Streptococci.
A potent blend to support your oral health.
Our unique & potent blend contains one of the highest concentrations of BLIS K12 & BLIS M-18 available on the market. Studies have shown that these clinically researched probiotic strains support oral health and healthy gums and teeth.
Recommended and endorsed by more than 26,000 dental professionals
Our proprietary blend has been carefully chosen based on clinical research into probiotic oral health benefits, and are recommended daily by over 26,000 dental professionals nationwide.
6. BioGaia Prodentis Mint Lozenges, A Dental Probiotic for Men and Women
- BIOGAIA PRODENTIS GOES BEYOND TRADITIONAL ORAL CARE PRODUCTS: Prodentis works differently to keep your mouth healthy!*
- A DAILY PROBIOTIC FOR HEALTHY GUMS AND TEETH + FRESH BREATH: Prodentis is clinically shown to improve oral health.*
- EASILY ADD TO YOUR DAILY ORAL HEALTH ROUTINE: Simply let Prodentis melt in your mouth after flossing & brushing or when it's convenient for you!
- ONLY PRODENTIS CONTAINS A PATENTED COMBINATION OF L. REUTERI: Prodentis contains L. reuteri DSM 17938 and L. reuteri ATCC PTA 5289 that work synergistically to improve oral health.*
- A REFRESHINGLY SIMPLE TAKE ON ORAL HEALTH: Prodentis is a minty fresh lozenge that is alcohol free, no soy, no preservatives and no added sugar!
|Product Benefits||Support Dental Health|
BioGaia Prodentis is an innovative probiotic that can be easily added to your daily oral health regimen. Prodentis helps to restore the ecological balance in the mouth which promotes healthy teeth and gums & fresh breath.
Pregnant Women – Protectis MUM
- Compliment to prenatal vitamins
- Promote a healthy maternal microbiota to shape baby’s microbiota*
- Support baby’s immune development*
Infants – BioGaia Protectis Baby
- Newborns +
- Ease colic, spit-ups and occasional constipation & diarrhea*
- Promote digestive comfort.
Infants – BioGaia Protectis Baby with Vitamin D
- Newborns +
- Ease colic, spit-ups and occasional constipation & diarrhea*
- Promote digestive comfort*.
Children – BioGaia Protectis
- Toddlers to teens
- Ease occasional stomach pain, constipation & diarrhea*
- Daily use promotes good digestive & immune health.
Children – Prodentis KIDS
- Daily oral hygiene boost for kids with:*
- Braces, dental problems or struggling with oral hygiene
- Kid-approved apple flavor.
Dental Probiotic – BioGaia Prodentis
- Promote healthy gums & teeth plus fresh breath*
- Easily add to your daily oral health routine
- Great for use between professional teeth cleanings.
Adults – BioGaia Gastrus
- Ease occasional GI discomfort, constipation, gas & bloating*
- Daily use promotes a healthy functioning GI system*
- Support regularity.
Women – BioGaia Osfortis
- A women’s probiotic for daily use
- Designed for women before, during & after menopause
- Promote strong bones, immune balance & GI wellness.
7. Hyperbiotics Dental Probiotics for Bad Breath
- Maintain healthy ears, nose, throat and sinuses! When your oral microbiome is populated with strong probiotic colonies, you are equipped with natural defenses against common invaders. PRO-Dental is formulated with targeted probiotic strains to replenish the balance of good bacteria and support oral and immune system support.
- A convenient chewable tablet! The suggested use is to take 1 tablet once or twice per day. This is after brushing and using mouthwash. ENT Probiotics were formulated to allow the 3 billion CFU targeted strains to reside on the tongue, tonsils, and ear, nose, and throat area, so chewing them is the perfect delivery method.
- Focus on oral health and fresh breath! The probiotic strains in Hyperbiotics PRO-Dental work together to create an environment in the oral cavity that helps lessen the buildup of sticky deposits that can eventually lead to problems. These beneficial strains also work to crowd out undesirable bacteria.
- Tested for safety the highest quality possible. At Hyperbiotics, we love making a difference by leveraging the latest research to develop premium probiotic formulas and empowering individuals on their journey toward greater health. Our ingredients are carefully selected and follow good manufacturing practices when producing and packing each batch.
- Manufactured in the USA! Our probiotics are manufactured in Washington and Colorado in facilities that are GMP certified through NSF. We adhere to the strictest quality control and FDA guidelines and perform rigorous testing on every lot to ensure they are survivable and as the label states.
|Specific Uses For Product||Probiotics|
|Diet Type||Vegetarian, Gluten Free|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Material Feature||Sugar Free|
|Item Weight||0.1 Pounds|
At Hyperbiotics, we love making a difference by leveraging the latest research to develop premium probiotic formulas and empowering individuals on their journey toward greater health. We are a team of dedicated microbiome experts, professionals and evangelists who believe a paradigm shift is happening around the way we view health and medicine.
Easy To Sallow
This tiny pearl is a fraction of the size of standard capsules. No wasted fillers, just micro-packed goodness. You’re welcome.
Premium Probiotics Supplement
This formula is vegetarian, non-GMO, and free of dairy, gluten, and yeast. There is also no soy, sugar, iron, nuts, artificial flavors, artificial colors, or preservatives.
What are probiotics in the mouth?
Probiotics, according to the National Institutes of Health, are live microorganisms that can improve your health when swallowed or applied to your skin. In other words, they are beneficial bacteria.
They aid in the digestion of food, the production of vitamins, and the destruction of dangerous cells. Our bodies already contain these microorganisms.
Oral probiotics are bacteria strains that improve oral health and help to maintain a healthy bacterial ecology in the mouth. In this complete probiotic guide, you can learn everything you need to know about oral probiotics, including their advantages, hazards, and the best kind to take.
Bacteria and bad breath: what’s the connection?
Humans have always struggled with bad breath. Efforts to tackle this stinky epidemic date back at least 5,000 years, when the Babylonians tried to brush their bad breath away with twigs.
The ancient Egyptians even devised a breath mint made from cooked herbs and spices 3,000 years ago. Absalon employs cardamom and licorice to sweeten his breath in the Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, seeking a kiss.
According to Scientific American, it wasn’t until the 1970s that the University of British Columbia scientist Joseph Tonzetich decided to take a technological approach to the problem of foul breath. He was able to break down foul odors from one’s breath into specific compounds.
He discovered sulfur to be one of the odoriest compounds present in poor breath, and since then, over 150 molecular components in the breath have been identified. Dimethyl sulfide, cadaverine, and putrescine are among them.
These compounds are waste products produced by bacteria in your mouth that feed on food and soft tissue in your mouth. Streptococcus mutants, which feed on sugar and erode enamel, is one of these bacteria, albeit it isn’t the most common cause of bad breath.
Others, such as Porphyromonas gingivalis and Prevotella intermedia, dwell beneath the gum line and release a lot more gas. Bacteria on the tongue can also generate unpleasant scents.
Oral probiotics can help with foul breath.
Mouthwashes, the use of a tongue scraper, and better dental hygiene, in general, are just a few options for getting rid of bad breath. Probiotics, on the other hand, are becoming a more popular treatment for halitosis.
The University of Connecticut discovered that there are two bacteria strains in particular that can aid with foul breath produced by bacterial proliferation in this study. Streptococcus salivarius strain K12 and Streptococcus salivarius strain M18 are the strains in question.
The bacteria colonized the oral cavities of research participants and reduced inflammation, as well as modified the physical structure and gene expression of cells in the tongue, throat, and buccal membrane.
Due to their ability to physically attach themselves to pathogens and their production of dextranase and urease, these bacterial strains also helped prevent cavities, gum disease, and oral thrush.
Furthermore, these S. salivarius bacteria strains have been shown to be extremely safe for humans, and may one day be used to replace antibiotics in the treatment of a range of illnesses, including strep throat, tonsillitis, and pharyngitis.
Another study published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology found that probiotics can aid with bad breath. Over the course of three days, individuals used chlorhexidine mouthwash and oral probiotic lozenges containing either a placebo or a bacteria strain.
The results showed that 85 percent of individuals treated with the bacterial strain experienced noticeable decreases in halitosis, compared to only 30% of those in the placebo group. When it came to battling bad breath, the good bacteria were more powerful than mouthwash alone.
Are probiotics for the mouth the same as probiotics for the gut?
Probiotics taken orally are not the same as probiotics taken orally to promote gut health. This is because distinct species inhabit each microbiome, including the gut and oral microbiomes. Oral probiotics contain bacteria strains that are normally found in the mouth, while gut probiotics contain bacteria strains that are naturally present in the gut.
Learn more about how oral probiotics vary from gut probiotics and how they work to help your mouth health in the video below.
Is it okay to take oral probiotics for foul breath?
Oral probiotics have been found to be quite safe, and the majority of strains are already present in your mouth, so you’re not adding a foreign organism to your oral microbiome. However, you may have to bloat, have an upset stomach, or have diarrhea when you first start taking dental probiotics for foul breath.
Don’t take more than the recommended dose, and consult your doctor before starting, especially if you’re prone to infection, elderly, or pregnant. Before giving probiotics to youngsters, it’s also a good idea to talk with a pediatrician.
From the researched result above, you should now have a better understanding of what are the best probiotics for bad breath. As mentioned, it is important to strike a balance by consuming bacteria that can help counteract the bad breath but at the same time not affect your stomach. However, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all probiotic supplement out there.
Everyone has different needs when it comes to the type of bacteria in their gut, and some of these probiotics may work differently on people. For example, if your stomach happens to be sensitive, you might want to consider taking a supplement containing Lactobacillus Plantarum (the bacteria with most clinical evidence) instead of Lactobacillus reuteri or Lactobacillus gasseri, both commonly found in yogurt. It goes without saying that it is wise to begin taking probiotics that are specific for gut health only after you have consulted with your doctor first about possible reflux issues.