Mouthwash can help improve bad breath and many of the other unpleasant problems associated with having a mouth full of bacteria. However, every mouthwash is different. They all work differently and should be selected based on the type of problem you are trying to treat.
Not all mouthwashes are created equal: Some brands are packed full of chemicals and additives and actually cause more problems than they solve. Others focus mainly on aesthetics without delving much into improving your overall health. The following guide looks at the most important things you should keep in mind when selecting a bottle of mouthwash for your oral health.
Best Mouthwashes For Bad Breath Reviews
1. Listerine Freshburst Antiseptic Mouthwash
- KILLS 99.9% OF GERMS: This 2-pack of 500-mL bottles of Listerine Freshburst spearmint antiseptic mouthwash kills 99.9% of germs that cause bad breath, plaque and gingivitis for a fresher and cleaner mouth than brushing alone
- FIGHT PLAQUE AND GINGIVITIS: A germ-killing mouthwash clinically shown to reduce plaque more than brushing and flossing alone by up to 52 percent more and reduce gingivitis by 21 percent more, for a fresh and healthy mouth
- REFRESHING MINT FLAVOR: From the dentist recommended brand of over the counter mouthwashes, this mouthwash features a minty flavor that works to leave your mouth feeling clean and refreshed
- ADA SEAL OF ACCEPTANCE: As an ADA-accepted antiseptic mouthwash, Listerine Freshburst Antiseptic Mouthwash does more than create fresh breath by offering 24-hour germ protection with twice daily use
- WHOLE MOUTH CLEAN: With approximately 12 days, achieve maximum results from this fresh breath mouthwash by rinsing mouth for 30 seconds twice a day, both morning and night, and experience a refreshing, dentist-clean feeling
|Liquid Volume||33.81 Fluid Ounces|
|Product Benefits||Germ Protection, Freshening, Fresh Breath, Plaque, Clean, Gingivitis, Antiseptic, Bad Breath|
Protect your mouth from germs and get fresh breath with Listerine Freshburst Antiseptic Mouthwash. It kills 99.9% of germs that cause bad breath, plaque, and gingivitis for a fresher and cleaner mouth than brushing alone. Clinically shown to reduce 52 percent more plaque and 21 percent more gingivitis than brushing and flossing alone, this antiseptic mouthwash provides a deep clean that cares for your whole mouth. Listerine Freshburst Mouthwash is a recipient of the ADA Seal of Acceptance for fighting plaque and gingivitis.
The great-tasting Freshburst spearmint flavor of this antiseptic mouthwash leaves your mouth feeling clean and fresh. With approximately 12 days in this 500-mL bottle, achieve maximum results by rinsing with this refreshing mouthwash for 30 seconds twice a day, both morning and night, for 24-hour germ protection. Based on laboratory testing. Data on file. Stock up with this 2-pack of 500 mL bottles of mouthwash.
Germs Will Beg for Mercy
What happens each time you swish properly? LISTERINE FRESHBURST Antiseptic Mouthwash fights 99.9% of germs that cause plaque and gingivitis.
Why Rinse – FEEL THE WHOA
Brushing and flossing only go so far. Adding rinsing with LISTERINE FRESHBURST provides a greater reach for a whole mouth clean.
Protect Against Gingivitis
A 30-second rinse, twice-daily with LISTERINE FRESHBURST Antiseptic Mouthwash, gives 21% greater gingivitis reduction compared to brushing alone.
1 Dentist Recommended Brand
Be sure to schedule appointments with your dentist at least every 6 months. Don’t be shy to ask your dentist/ hygienist about best oral care habits.
2. Product Title: Listerine Total Care Anticavity Fluoride Mouthwash for Bad Breath
- FLUORIDE ANTICAVITY MOUTHWASH: 1-liter family size of Listerine Fluoride Anticavity Mouthwash in fresh mint flavor to improve oral health by helping to prevent cavities, strengthening teeth, and leaving a refreshing, clean feeling you can taste
- 6-IN-1 BENEFITS: Fluoride-rich mint mouthwash offers six dental hygiene benefits in one oral rinse to kill germs that cause bad breath, strengthen teeth, help prevent cavities, restore enamel, clean your mouth and freshen breath
- 50% STRONGER TEETH*: Anticavity fresh mint remineralizing mouthwash freshens breath while strengthening teeth 50% more than brushing alone, according to laboratory studies *vs brushing alone
- PROTECTS DAY AND NIGHT: Help protect your mouth by adding a 60-second rinse of this powerful anticavity total care mouthwash to your morning and evening oral care routines
- ADA ACCEPTED: With approximately 7 weeks of supply, this multibenefit oral rinse in a refreshing Fresh Mint Flavor helps prevent tooth decay and is accepted by the American Dental Association's (ADA) Seal of Acceptance Program
|Liquid Volume||1 Liters|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium Fluoride|
Give your mouth complete care with ADA-accepted Listerine Total Care Fluoride Anticavity Mouthwash. This Fresh mint-flavored mouthwash for bad breath provides six dental hygiene benefits in one powerful oral rinse & up to four times the fluoride uptake versus Act,* & provides 50% greater strengthening of weakened enamel vs. brushing alone in lab studies.
The fluoride-rich oral rinse formula helps prevent cavities, restores enamel, & strengthens your teeth to improve oral health. Use remineralizing mouthwash to freshen your breath, kill germs that cause bad breath, & clean your whole mouth.
This oral rinse is accepted by the American Dental Association’s (ADA) Seal of Acceptance Program & features a fresh mint flavor that gives your mouth a clean feeling you can taste. *In laboratory tests compared to Act Total Care Anticavity Fluoride Rinse.
Protect Against Cavities
LISTERINE TOTAL CARE Mouthwash is an anticavity fluoride mouthwash that strengthens enamel 50% more than brushing alone, as seen in lab studies.
1 Dentist Recommended Brand
Be sure to schedule appointments with your dentist at least every 6 months. Don’t be shy to ask your dentist/ hygienist about the best oral care habits.
Germs Will Beg for Mercy
What happens each time you swish properly? LISTERINE TOTAL CARE fights 99.9% of bad breath germs within 60 seconds.
LISTERINE TOTAL CARE
Need a big, whole-mouth-cleaning mouthwash? Bring in LISTERINE TOTAL CARE Fresh Mint Anticavity Mouthwash! With up to 4x greater fluoride uptake vs ACT*, this rinse prevents cavities, restores minerals to enamel, strengthens teeth & fights bad-breath germs.
3. Premium Oxyfresh Lemon Mint Fresh Breath Mouthwash
- FIGHTS BAD BREATH: All day freshness in just 1 minute! Unlike other fresh breath mouthwashes that simply mask bad breath, our non-toxic mint mouthwash for bad breath gently neutralizes odors
- HYDRATING & ALCOHOL FREE – Our must-have aloe vera mouth rinse helps soothe and hydrate your gums, it’s pH balanced and free of dyes that can stain your pearly whites, free of alcohol that can sting and cause dryness, and free of artificial flavors. Plus, it’s fluoride free and perfect for the whole family!
- INFUSED WITH NATURAL XYLITOL & ESSENTIAL OILS – You’ll love the refreshing taste of our oral rinse for bad breath. Our citrus & spearmint blend, plus it’s naturally sweetened with xylitol, which helps fight plaque. It’s a swish you can’t resist with only non-toxic ingredients and no artificial flavors.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN – Freshen breath with our lemon mint mouth rinse. Backed by an independent 12-month clinical study published in the International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research, Fresh Breath Lemon Mint Mouthwash has shown better long-term results at helping to reduce plaque and helping to strengthen gum tissue.
- IT’S SAFE, NON-TOXIC & IT WORKS - If you've tried everything else, you might as well try something that works! Trusted by dentists to freshen breath, and just like all Oxyfresh products, our fluoride free mouthwash is made in the USA with the best of science and Mother Nature.
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Toxic Free, Dye Free, Alcohol Free|
|Liquid Volume||16 Fluid Ounces|
Many mouthwash brands promise fresh breath but fail to deliver. They only mask bad breath with alcohol and artificial mint flavors for a short period of time, drying out your mouth and creating even worse halitosis err bad breath!
Oxyfresh is refreshingly different. Our fluoride free, alcohol free Fresh Breath mouthwash takes on bad breath at the source with our patented formula of Oxygene and Zinc. You’ll be just 1 minute away from the freshest, most irresistibly clean smile you’ve ever had. We promise.
You’ll Love It.
- Instant Fresh Breath
- Gentle on Gums & Enamel
- Helps Reduce Plaque & Tartar
Perfect 1-Minute Solution
- Amazing Fresh Taste
- Perfect Periodontal Care
- Soothing Aloe & Essential Oils
Dentists Trust It.
- Made in the USA
- Dye Free & Sting Free
- Trusted Brand Since 1984
4. Riven – Probiotic Mouthwash
- FIRST IN ITS CLASS PROBIOTIC MOUTHWASH - This pH Balancing dentist formulated Mouthwash is made to work with your oral ecosystem, not against it. A unique formulation of Riven’s signature antioxidants, minerals and botanicals that supports your saliva’s natural defenses.
- CLEAN INGREDIENTS TEETH NEED & NONE THEY DON’T - This cool mint vegan Mouthwash contains a combination of plant extracts that freshens breath, keeps teeth and gums clean while moisturizes dry oral tissue, FREE OF Fluoride, alcohol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), parabens and more.
- 24 HOUR BAD BREATH PROTECTION - This Mouthwash will freshen breath while soothing soft tissue in the oral cavity resulting in improved appearance of tissue and a pleasant, fresh feeling in the mouth.
- NEXT LEVEL FRESHNESS - A mouthwash that is thoughtfully formulated with mint from farm grown peppermint, a well-known antiseptic that kills bad germs that cause bad breath. throw in Xylitol, to keep the alcohol out (no burning and stinging, yay!), and you have a little swish of heaven.
- GREAT FOR GUM HEALTH - A healthier mouth starts with good bacteria that’s alive. Riven’s mouthwash inhibits the growth of bad bacteria and leaves the mouth healthy and fresh.
|Product Benefits||Softening, Dry Mouth, Soothing, Freshness, Freshen Breath, Plaque, Clean, Anti-cavity, Gingivitis, Freshens Breath, Ph Balancing, Antiseptic, Bad BreathSoftening, Dry Mouth, Soothing, Freshness, Freshen Breath, Plaque, Clean, Anti-cavity, Gingivitis, Freshens Breath, Ph Balancing, Antiseptic, Bad Breath.|
Your oral microbiome includes good and bad bacteria that aid saliva production, support the remineralization of your teeth, and help prevent tooth decay. Certain mouthwashes can kill 99.9% of the bacteria in your mouth — which means they’re also killing off good bacteria. Discover a new way to achieve a healthy mouth. Riven’s zero burns, zero alcohol, and non-toxic formula let you keep all the good stuff, building a protective shield that works like your mouth’s personal superhero while removing harmful bacteria.
We’ve added aloe to protect your gums, antioxidants to fortify, and probiotics to build the perfect ecosystem. With continued use, you’ll have a strong and resilient microbiome. Why Riven? Alcohol Free Ph Balanced Zero Plastic Packaging Never tested on Animals Vegan Dentist Formulated No Fluoride No Artificial Colors No Paraben No sulfates/SLS No Gluten
5. Philips Sonicare BreathRx Antibacterial Mouth Rinse
- Prevents plaque that leads to gingivitis
- Daily rinse with Zytex, alcohol free
- Dentist dispensed fresh breath system
- Zytex formula neutralizes bad breath and odor
|Material Type Free||Alcohol Free|
|Liquid Volume||16 Fluid Ounces|
|Active Ingredients||Cetylpyridinium Chloride|
Wash away bad breath. BreathRx mouth rinse isn’t your ordinary, everyday mouth wash. Its dual-action power attacks odor-causing bacteria at the source and neutralizes their awful foul-smelling odors. It’s alcohol free, sugar-free, and contains ZYTEX, our odor-neutralizing secret weapon in the fight against bad breath. So rinse away and feel confident that you have the freshest breath possible, for hours on end.
Philips Sonicare Breathrx Antibacterial Mouth Rinse
Lasting fresh breath in 3 easy steps
Don’t just mask odors, eliminate them in 3 easy steps – brush, scrape, rinse. Step 1: Brush away odor-causing plaque with BreathRx Whitening toothpaste. Step 2: Get to the bacteria that hides within the uneven surface of your tongue with the BreathRx tongue spray and tongue cleaner.
The active ingredient in the spray kills bad breath bacteria on contact and neutralizes odors. The flexible tongue cleaner gently removes bacteria build-up from the tongue. Step 3: Rinse away the remaining germs and debris with the BreathRx antibacterial mouth rinse.
6. Biotene Oral Rinse Mouthwash
- One 33.8 fl oz bottle of Biotene Oral Rinse Mouthwash for Dry Mouth, Breath Freshener and Dry Mouth Treatment, Fresh Mint
- Formulated with a mouth moisturizing system that soothes and lubricates
- Biotene dry mouth oral rinse provides up to four hours of relief from dry mouth symptoms
- Dry mouth rinse provides immediate symptom relief while helping maintain a balanced pH in the mouth
- Alcohol free and sugar free mouthwash refreshes as it moisturizes
|Material Type Free||Alcohol Free, Sugar Free|
|Liquid Volume||33.8 Fluid Ounces|
Biotene Fresh Mint Mouthwash is an ideal oral rinse for immediate relief of dry mouth symptoms when used as part of your daily oral health care routine. Formulated using a mouth moisturizing system, this dry mouth mouthwash provides up to four hours of soothing, lubricating relief from dry mouth symptoms, including bad breath, stickiness in the mouth, dryness in the mouth and chapped lips.
This gentle sugar free and alcohol free mouthwash for dry mouth has a fresh mint flavor that freshens breath while working to keep your mouth clean and at a healthy, balanced pH. Simply rinse your mouth with 15 mL of Biotene mouthwash up to five times daily or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Biotene oral mouthwash is formulated for adults and children 12 years and older. For long-lasting relief of dry mouth symptoms, choose Biotene, the Number 1 dry mouth brand trusted by dentists.
7. Hello Bye Bye Bacteria Oral Rinse Mouthwash
- Includes three 16 oz. bottles of Hello Bye Bye Bacteria Oral Rinse Mouthwash, Alcohol Free Mouthwash for Bad Breath
- Refreshing herbal mint flavor acts as a natural breath freshener and shoos away bad breath bacteria after every swish
- This friendly non alcohol mouthwash comes in a pack of 3 so you always have extras on hand and never run out
- Hello mouthwash rinse is the best mouthwash for bad breath and contains no artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, SLS, or sulfates
- Swish happy using this vegan mouthwash for minty fresh breath after every use
Say buh-bye, ciao, adios, sayonara to nasty bad breath bacteria and hello to a seriously friendly alcohol free mouthwash with Hello Bye Bye Bacteria Oral Rinse Mouthwash. Keep your mouth cool and refreshed with this 3 pack of non alcohol mouthwash made with fresh herbal mint.
This mint mouthwash shoos away bad breath bacteria and leaves a zingy, clean feeling after every swish. Hello mouthwash rinse is the best mouthwash for bad breath. Say goodbye to nasty bad breath bacteria and hello to a friendly no alcohol mouthwash you can trust.
Each bottle of mint mouth wash is made from 100 percent post-consumer recycled materials and thoughtfully formulated with zinc and tea tree oil and contains no alcohol, no artificial flavors, no artificial sweeteners, no SLS, no sulfates, no brainer. Hello mouthrinse is vegan, not tested on animals (Leaping Bunny Certified and PETA recognized), and made in the USA.
8. SmartMouth Original Activated & Clinical DDS Mouthwash
- Effective Bad Breath Mouthwash: Clears away sulfur-producing germs with just 2 rinses a day
- Patented Zinc Ion Technology: Uses activated solutions for all-day protection and optimum oral care
- Upgrade Your Dental Hygiene: Fresh mint flavor is long-lasting, refreshing, and pleasant
- Safe SmartMouth Alcohol-Free Products: Leave no stinging or burning sensation in your mouth
- Covered by the SmartMouth 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Additional terms apply. See below for details
|Liquid Volume||32 Fluid Ounces|
|Product Benefits||Freshening,Clean,Long-lasting,Bad Breath|
SmartMouth Activated Mouthwash is a scientifically developed liquid zinc-based mouth rinse that effectively treats bad breath and the foul odor caused by sulfur-producing microorganisms in the mouth. Zinc ions are released in the mouth to help neutralize these odors. With just one or two rinses per day, you can enjoy fresh breath for hours and throughout the day.
Zinc Rich Activitor
SmartMouth Clinical DDS Activated Oral Rinse combines zinc ion technology with maximum anti-plaque and anti-gingivitis benefits to help prevent bleeding gums. This patented solution promotes optimal oral and general health without sacrificing any anti-bad breath technology. SmartMouth Clinical DDS eliminates bad breath instantly and prevents it from returning for 12 hours per rinse.
SmartMouth’s Clinical DDS Prescription Strength oral rinse combines zinc ion technology with maximum antiplaque and antigingivitis benefits to help prevent bleeding gums and fight gum disease. Our patented solution promotes optimal oral and general health while preventing and eliminating bad breath for 24 hours with twice daily use.
SmartMouth’s Clinical DDS oral treatment uses zinc ions to eliminate and prevent bad breath without any stinging or burning sensation. Alcohol dries out your mouth, making you more vulnerable to bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease. SmartMouth’s maximum strength bad breath treatment uses the power of zinc ions to eliminate and prevent bad breath for 12 hours with every rinse.
How to choose the right mouthwash for you
What is the mechanism of action of mouthwashes?
Mouthwashes share a few characteristics. They’re all designed to prevent plaque buildup, and they usually have a strong mint flavor that’s meant to freshen your breath. Fluoride is the main element, just like toothpaste. This reduces the creation of acid, which protects the teeth from acid erosion caused by plaque bacteria interacting with carbohydrates in the mouth. It can also be used to strengthen or replace any enamel that has been lost. Fluoride levels in mouthwashes range from 200 to 250 parts per million (parts per million).
Additional active antibacterial or antiseptic ingredients, such as cetylpyridium chloride (CPC) and sodium bicarbonate, germicides like Triclosan, and sodium chloride, which can remove debris between the teeth and freshen breath, are found in some mouthwashes.
Should mouthwash contain alcohol?
Alcohol (particularly ethanol) is used as a carrier for the active components in several mouthwashes. The amounts are minimal, and because you don’t swallow the mouthwash, you won’t become sloshed: your breath will have a slight increase in alcohol content, but this will drop away after approximately ten minutes. Alcohol, on the other hand, can dry out your mouth, causing it to emit foul sulfur compounds that can exacerbate halitosis. Alcohol mouthwashes have also been linked to an increased risk of oral cancer in several studies, though this hasn’t been proven conclusively. You may prefer a non-alcoholic mouthwash for these reasons (or religious ones).
Gum disease or white teeth require a special mouthwash
You’ll find mouthwashes that are specifically developed to fight gum disease or whiten teeth in addition to your standard mouthwashes. Chlorohexidine or hydrogen peroxide is commonly used in the first category. This is highly efficient, however, it leaves a strong aftertaste and often a numb sensation in the mouth. Worse, if you use a strong chlorohexidine mouthwash for an extended period of time, your teeth can become discolored – albeit a “daily” mouthwash will have a lesser dose that shouldn’t create concerns.
Mouthwash: How to Use It
It’s vital to remember that mouthwash isn’t a magic dental cure-all. If you’re worried about gum disease, tooth decay, or bad breath, brushing twice a day, top and bottom, front and back, for two minutes each time is essential. When you do use mouthwash, make sure you leave it in your mouth for at least thirty seconds before washing it out. And try not to do it just after brushing your teeth, as you can be washing away the beneficial fluoride in your toothpaste.
The best mouthwash for bad breath will likely vary based on the individual, and it’s important to consider a wide range of elements before making your final selection. However, if we had to select one single mouthwash above all others, we would have to highly recommend TheraBreath.
This mouthwash has strong antibacterial agents and enzymes that have been shown not only to fight against the germs themselves but also their sulfur compounds (which are what actually cause bad breath). It is infused with mint and eucalyptol to fight bacteria and includes aloe vera juice and botanical extracts to soothe the gums.
It is also free of alcohol, unlike many other types of mouthwash (since alcohol tends to irritate sensitive tissues), contains no animal testing, and is formulated in a vegan manner.