Sensitive teeth have become quite an epidemic, affecting approximately 60 percent of adults.
When you’re dealing with the shooting pain that sensitive teeth can bring, it’s helpful to have a full oral care regimen in place, one that includes everything from a desensitizing toothpaste to a gentle mouthwash.
One of the most effective treatments for sensitive teeth is a good mouthwash, but with so many on the market, you’re probably overwhelmed when it comes to picking one. With this guide, we’ll break down some key features to look for in the best mouthwash for sensitive teeth as well as provide a handful of recommendations that are both affordable and effective.
Best Mouthwash For Sensitive Teeth Reviews:
1. Listerine Sensitivity Mouthwash,Tooth Sensitivity Relief & Protection
Get 24-hour relief from painful tooth sensitivity with continued use of Listerine Sensitivity Zero Alcohol Mouthrinse. This uniquely formulated tooth sensitivity mouthwash begins working immediately to shield and protect sensitive areas of teeth.
Unlike many oral care sensitivity products that numb the nerve, Listerine Sensitivity mouthwash with Crystal Block Technology works differently by physically blocking 97% of dentin tubules in just six rinses, treating tooth sensitivity at its source.
Featuring a refreshing Fresh Mint flavor, this alcohol-free mouthwash reaches virtually 100% of your sensitive teeth areas and gets the hard to reach areas of your mouth.Available in a 500 mL bottle with approximately 1 month of supply. Relief in 2 weeks with continued use. In laboratory studies.
|Active Ingredients||ERROR: #N/A|
|Liquid Volume||16.9 Fluid Ounces|
|Active Ingredients||ERROR: #N/A|
- 500-milliliter bottle of Listerine Sensitivity Zero Alcohol Mouthrinse in Fresh Mint flavor is made with a unique alcohol-free, potassium oxalate formula designed to shield and protect sensitive areas of teeth for 24-hour sensitivity relief with continued use
- Listerine Sensitivity mouthwash with Crystal Block Technology blocks painful teeth sensitivity at the source by depositing crystals deep inside exposed dentin tubules that lead to sensitive nerve endings
- Made with potassium oxalate, this alcohol-free mouthwash starts working with the first rinse* and is uniquely formulated to provide relief from sensitivity so you can enjoy the foods that cause sensitivity, including those that are hot, cold, and acidic, as well as sweets
- Sensitivity mouthwash comes in a refreshing Fresh Mint flavor and provides a new way to treat your tooth sensitivity by reaching virtually 100% of your sensitive teeth areas including those hard-to-reach areas of the mouth that brushing may miss
- Protect and shield the sensitive areas of your the teeth with this new and uniquely formulated sensitive teeth mouthwash, available in a 500 mL bottle with approximately 1 month of supply
2. CloSYS Sensitive Mouthwash
Why does most mouthwash burn and irritate? It doesn’t have to hurt to be effective. With CloSYS Mouthwashes you can protect your mouth from harmful bad breath germs and freshen your breath without the painful burn. CloSYS is one of the first mouthwashes to receive the American Dental Association seal for reducing bad breath.
This gentle but powerful mouthwash is perfect for all ages because its patented formula is pH balanced and so gentle you’ll actually use it longer for better results. A 30-second rinse in the morning and evening after each brushing is easy, and all it takes to get great results. CloSYS Sensitive Mouthwash comes mildly flavored with a touch of gentle mint. Nothing overpowering or painful. Just a clean, fresh, soothing mouthwash you’ll actually use, because CloSYS is the Gentlest Oral Care Ever.
|Material Type Free||Dye Free, Triclosan Free, Sulfate Free, Gluten Free, Alcohol Free|
|Liquid Volume||32 Fluid Ounces|
- Contains 1- 32 ounce bottle of CloSYS Sensitive Mouthwash in Gentle Mint flavor
- Advanced oral care benefits without the burn or irritation – Made for sensitive mouths
- Naturally activated and pH balanced
- Received ADA Seal for reducing bad breath. Not a cover-up.
- Alcohol-free, Sulfate-free, triclosan-free, and gluten-free
3. Colgate Optic White Alcohol Free Whitening Mouthwash
Colgate Optic White High Impact White whitening mouthwash contains 2% hydrogen peroxide to effectively whiten teeth by removing surface stains. This alcohol free mouthwash doesn’t contain ethanol, so there’s no burn.
This mouthwash is an Icy Fresh Mint flavor that helps freshen breath while whitening teeth. It even contains Whiteseal technology to help seal out and prevent stains. For an extra white smile, use after brushing with Colgate Optic White toothbrushes and toothpastes.
|Product Benefits||Whitens Teeth,Freshen Breath,Whitening|
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Alcohol Free|
|Active Ingredients||Hydrogen Peroxide|
- Teeth whitening mouthwash that actively whitens teeth and helps prevent future stains by sealing them out
- Enamel safe, 2% hydrogen peroxide whitening formula, an ingredient recommended by dentists for dental whitening
- Icy Fresh Mint flavor helps freshen breath in the morning or between meals
- Alcohol free mouthwash, so there’s no burn; fluoride free mouthwash formula
- Pack of 3 bottles with 32 fluid ounces in each; a total of 96 fluid ounces
4. Oral Essentials Lumineux Sensitive Teeth Mouthwash
Lumineux is the first truly ethical oral care company to emerge on the market in close to a century. Founded on decades of international research conducted by two world-renowned dentists, our products have a back-to-basics approach that use naturally occurring ingredients like Dead Sea salt, aloe vera juice and potent essential oils to handle the source of bad breath, decay and disease without cumulative side-effects, and unnecessary additives.
Lumineux is the first oral care product to protect the oral micro biome and neutralize the toxins of bad bacteria, rather than indiscriminately killing bacteria. The result is a clean, non-toxic, and proven effective line of solutions that are backed by clinical and in-the-field studies that are truly head and shoulders above what’s available to consumers. Dr. Kourosh Maddahi, Lumineux’s Founder and CEO, puts it perfectly, saying, “You shouldn’t have to choose between a product that’s good for you, and a product that actually works.”
Lumineux remains the only oral care line to carry the Made Safe certification, as well as Non- Toxic certification for all its products from the LEMI Lab in France, and head-to-head clinical studies against every leading brand from the University of Irvine, California.
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Preservative Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free, Artificial Color Free, Alcohol Free|
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Preservative Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free, Artificial Color Free, Alcohol Free|
- SAY GOODBYE TO TEETH SENSITIVITY: This mineral rich formula uses the most potent salt in the world to deliver a revolutionary mineral coating and protect teeth without harsh chemicals. Our studies have shown that individuals experienced a reduction in tooth sensitivity in two weeks or less!
- STOPS SENSITIVITY WITHOUT HARSH CHEMICALS: The key ingredient, Dead Sea salt contains minerals such as calcium, phosphate, and manganese that bind together on the surfaces of teeth to reduce sensations of sensitivity to hot or cold liquids.
- DENTIST FORMULATED MOUTHWASH: Beverly Hills, California is the epicenter for innovation in anti-aging, beauty, and medical fields. What better place to formulate the world’s most contemporary oral care line? Each ingredient was selected for its benefits and purity by periodontal and cosmetic professionals who have treated thousands of patients from all over the globe. Lumineux has combined ancient homeopathic ingredients with evidence based elements like xylitol to merge the old world with new
- CERTIFIED NON-TOXIC, ALCOHOL FREE, PRESERVATIVE FREE MOUTHWASH: Denatured Alcohol is used as a cheap preservative in most mouthwashes, and to create the stinging effect most people associate with cleaning. This is, however, a gimmick, and denatured alcohol is purposefully poisonous to deter people from drinking it. We don’t use alcohol or preservatives to keep our products fresh. We use pasteurization instead and picked ingredients that support a balanced and harmonious ecosystem in your mouth
- CONTAINS DEAD SEA SALT: Dead Sea salt is the world’s most potent salt. People have been traveling to the Dead Sea for thousands of years to swim in its nutrient rich waters. It contains dozens of minerals including calcium, magnesium, and potassium that have all kinds of beneficial effects on the body. This is why we have chosen to use not just any salt in our product, but Dead Sea salt to uplift your oral care routine and leave your breath refreshed and moisturized
5. Oxyfresh Mouthwash for Sensitive Teeth
It happens, that trip to the dentist where we hear not-so-great news. You aren’t alone. It’s been reported that 1 in 4 have an untreated cavity and 1 in 8 have sensitive teeth and gums. Well, now you can step up your game with Oxyfresh’s innovative Cavity Protection Mouthwash. It’s the best swish ever for unrivaled cavity protection, desensitizing action and lasting fresh breath.
Oxyfresh is refreshingly different. Our unique mouthwash helps fight off plaque and is ideal for those with sensitive teeth. It provides the ultimate enamel protection and bad breath control, giving you the freshest, most irresistibly clean smile you’ve ever had. We promise.
|Flavor||Fresh Mint with Fluoride|
|Material Type Free||Toxic Free, Dye Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free, Alcohol Free, Soy Free|
|Liquid Volume||16 Fluid Ounces|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium Fluoride|
- ULTIMATE CAVITY PROTECTION – One of the most powerful cavity protection mouthwashes, hands down. Fortified with non-staining fluoride, our anti cavity mouthwash with xylitol helps fight plaque and helps break the cycle of tooth decay.
- PERFECT FOR SENSITIVE TEETH & GUMS – If you have sensitive teeth, whether from teeth whitening or exposed roots, this fluoride mouthwash is a must-have to help soothe sensitivity and help aid in remineralization of the enamel.
- NATURAL ESSENTIAL OIL & XYLITOL – Our unique formula is infused with essential peppermint oil and xylitol for a fresh, soothing, and cooling natural flavor the whole family will love. Plus, it’s alcohol free, so you get all the benefits with none of the burn!
- FINALLY STOP BAD BREATH – Oxyfresh Cavity Protection fluoride mouthwash offers a fast-acting, 1-minute solution for fresh breath that lasts all day! Our exclusive, non-toxic ingredient Oxygene neutralizes bad breath right at the source, giving you true fresh breath confidence.
- JUST TRY IT – If you’ve tried everything else, you might as well try something that works. Our premium fresh breath with fluoride formula is trusted by dentists, and just like all Oxyfresh oral care products, it’s made in the USA with the best of science and Mother Nature.
6. TheraBreath Healthy Gums Periodontist Formulated 24-Hour
It is estimated by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta that nearly 50% of the population of the United States lives with gum disease in some form. Whether you’re noticing sensitive teeth, bleeding gums, or have been diagnosed with gingivitis, TheraBreath Healthy Gums Oral Rinse is an effective solution. Healthy Gums Oral Rinse is a safe and effective treatment to fight bacteria and common symptoms of gum disease, which can also be related to diabetes.
Dr. Katz’s Healthy Gums Oral Rinse is periodontist-formulated to help people living with gum disease. TheraBreath Healthy Gums Oral Rinse contains cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC), an ingredient approved by the FDA and clinically proven to kill germs linked to gum disease and other periodontal problems, and adds a sweetener, xylitol (but NO saccharin), to neutralize the decay process. CPC attacks the bacteria that lead to gingivitis, which is early stage gum disease that produces red, swollen, and even bleeding gums. It also helps to fight periodontitis, a later stage gum disease.
Periodontitis can cause gums to pull away from the teeth, bone loss, and potentially even tooth loss. This 24-hour oral rinse is packed with Dr. Katz’s patented oxygenating compounds and added zinc compounds to fight bad breath germs with no mixing needed. This product is alcohol-free, which reduces irritation and the occurrence of inflamed and sensitive gums, it contains no artificial colors or flavors, and it is certified vegan, kosher, and gluten-free.
TheraBreath Healthy Gums 24-hour Oral Rinse formula is also exceptional for treating gum-related problems associated with menopause, pregnancy, and other medical conditions. The non-acidic formula of Healthy Gums Oral Rinse has a gentle Clean Mint flavor without added saccharin. This product is sold as a pack of two 16-ounce bottles. As with all our products.
|Product Benefits||Alcohol Free|
|Material Type Free||Artificial Flavor Free, Gluten Free, Artificial Color Free, Alcohol Free|
|Active Ingredients||Cetylpyridinium Chloride|
- Money-Back Guaranteed: We’re so confident in our TheraBreath products that they’re all backed with 100 percent Satisfaction Money-Back Guarantee
- Periodontal Mouthwash: Regular use of TheraBreath Healthy Gums Orals Rinse may help address bleeding gums, gingivitis, plaque and tartar buildup, and bad breath. Dentist-formulated support for healthy gums
- Fresh Mouth, Healthy Gums: Attack bad breath at the source while providing extra support for gum health. Great for gum problems associated with pregnancy, menopause, and other medical conditions
- Premium Oral Care: Our solution-oriented line of toothpastes, mouthwashes, breath sprays, tonsil stone kits, and more can help your whole family get the oral hygiene support you need
- Professional-Grade Products: TheraBreath’s line of dentist-formulated toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other products are designed to help address halitosis, cavity prevention, gum disease, and more (With added CPC)
7. ACT Restoring Zero Alcohol Fluoride Mouthwash
Help protect your teeth from weakening enamel and tooth decay with ACT Restoring Zero Alcohol Fluoride Mouthwash, Strengthens Tooth Enamel, Mint Burst. This mouth rinse is designed to help strengthen tooth enamel, remineralize soft spots, prevent cavities and freshen breath. In fact, anticavity rinses like ACT Restoring Mouthwash are up to 70% more effective at reducing cavities versus brushing with a fluoride toothpaste alone. This ACT Restoring Mouthwash comes in a Mint Burst flavor and is an alcohol-free mouthwash. When it comes to strong smiles, trust the No. 1 dentist recommended fluoride brand.
|Liquid Volume||18 Fluid Ounces|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium Fluoride|
- Contains one (1) 18 fluid ounce bottle of ACT Restoring Zero Alcohol Fluoride Mouthwash Mint Burst Flavor
- This ACT Oral Care Product is an alcohol-free mouthwash
- This fluoride mouthwash is designed to strengthen tooth enamel, remineralize soft spots, help prevent tooth decay and freshen breath
- Anticavity rinses like ACT Restoring Mouthwash can help reduce cavities up to 70% more than brushing with a fluoride toothpaste alone
- ACT Fluoride Mouthwash is the #1 dentist recommended fluoride brand*
8. Sensodyne Fresh Mint Mouthwash 500ml
Sensodyne Fresh Mint Mouthwash 500ml alcohol-free daily and durably protects against sensitiveness, alleviates and strengthens the teeth. With one or two uses per day, the formula of this mouthwash efficiently acts inside of teeth to soothe the nerve and provide a long term protection against the dental sensitiveness. Rich in fluor, it strengthens the teeth too. Its mint flavor is fresh and offers an immediate sensation of freshness and cleanness.
|Liquid Volume||500 Milliliters|
- Sensodyne Fresh Mint Mouthwash 500ml alcohol-free daily and durably protects against sensitiveness, alleviates and strengthens the teeth.
- With one or two uses per day, the formula of this mouthwash efficiently acts inside of teeth to soothe the nerve and provide a long term protection against the dental sensitiveness. Rich in fluor, it strengthens the teeth too.
- Its mint flavor is fresh and offers an immediate sensation of freshness and cleanness.
What is teeth sensitivity and what causes it?
If you have sensitive teeth, you may get a sharp pain or dull ache in your teeth when you eat or drink hot, cold, sugary, or acidic food and drinks. The condition may also be triggered by simply breathing in cold air or brushing your teeth. It can be frustrating and cause you to stop enjoying your favorite food or drinks, and it can be quite worrying for some.
There is not just one cause of sensitive teeth and gums, and sometimes it may be caused by underlying issues. Many people get pain and discomfort from sensitive teeth that can come and go, but if it lasts for a prolonged period or the pain is intense then it’s important to get an appointment with a dentist.
Some of the causes of sensitive teeth and gums include:
- Thinning or worn down enamel
- Cracked or damaged teeth
- Exposed tooth roots
- Gum erosion
- A worn-out, ill-fitting or new filling
- Tooth decay and cavities
Depending on the cause of your teeth sensitivity or sore gums you may need dental treatment, and it’s always best to consult your dentist if you have concerns. However, there are some sensitive teeth remedies that you can help with any temporary pain and discomfort or while you wait for an appointment.
Which mouthwash is right for you?
There are hundreds of different mouthwashes on the market, but not many of them are specifically for sensitive teeth. Even though there isn’t a huge amount of choice it’s important you choose one that can address your particular needs.
There are 2 main types of sensitive mouthwash, therapeutic and gentle. Therapeutic mouthwashes help to treat the condition, whereas gentle ones don’t aggravate your teeth and gums further.
The cause of your pain and discomfort should factor into your decision. If you have sensitive teeth and sore gums from gingivitis then you may want to choose a mouthwash with antibacterial qualities. These types of mouthwashes should only be used as a short-term solution though.
If you have to thin or worn down enamel, a fluoride or remineralizing mouthwash would be suitable to help strengthen and remineralize your enamel.
Ingredients may also influence your decision. Some people want a fluoride-free mouthwash, a homemade mouthwash, or one with natural ingredients.
How to Use a Mouthwash for Sensitive Teeth
Generally, you should use mouthwash at a different time to brush. This way you will get the greatest effect of the fluoride and the therapeutic ingredient.
If you use mouthwash too soon after brushing, you simply wash off the toothpaste you have used. As toothpaste normally contains a higher dose of fluoride, it is better to keep using your toothpaste for the protection of cavities.
Use a mouthwash at least half an hour before or after brushing. Key times might be after your lunch (when you may not otherwise brush) or directly before bed (if this is later than brushing your teeth).
You may also get more benefit from your sensitive mouthwash if you use it before having acidic food or drink.
- Rinse the recommended dose of mouthwash (usually about 20ml is all that is needed) around your mouth for about a minute.
- Spit into the sink.
- Do not rinse with water afterwards.
About ingredients used in sensitive mouthwashes
Arginine is used to treat sensitivity by blocking the exposed dentin tubules (where the nerves are exposed). Despite evidence showing that arginine is effective in mouthwash form, there are yet to be any mouthwashes containing the ingredient on the US market (although you may be able to import from abroad).
Calcium and potassium ions
Help with the remineralization of the tooth surface. Demineralized enamel is more prone to tooth wear, and can increase the number of exposed dentine tubules, making symptoms of sensitivity worse.
Dipotassium Oxalate Monohydrate
Potassium oxalates are believed to block the tubules, preventing sensitivity. Patients report improvement in symptoms, however, there is conflicting evidence about how good the ingredient actually is.
Desensitises the nerves which are irritated on exposure to hot, cold, eating, or brushing. Works in a similar way to potassium nitrate.
Potassium nitrate prevents sensitivity by preventing the nerve from passing on the pain message from the tooth to the brain. It is a nerve calming agent.
Evidence has shown it to be equally effective in mouthwashes as in toothpaste, although at present there are few mouthwashes available with this ingredient.
FAQ: Mouthwash For Sensitive Teeth
Does mouthwash for sensitive teeth work?
Yes, toothpastes formulated for sensitive teeth do work if they contain one of the active ingredients. Unfortunately, there are few mouthwashes on the US market that contain ingredients that are therapeutic for sensitivity.
Are there any other products that could help with sensitivity?
You could consider a sensitive toothpaste (many of which contain active ingredients to fight sensitivity) or a prescription product from your dentist to help fight sensitivity.
Is mouthwash bad for sensitive teeth?
No, mouthwash is not bad for sensitive teeth. However, if you use a mouthwash too soon after using toothpaste you will rinse the toothpaste off before it takes effect. This may mean you don’t feel the benefit of a sensitive toothpaste if using a mouthwash straight after.
The best mouthwash for sensitive teeth is one that will clean out all the unwanted substances while not harming the teeth or mouth. This can be done by rinsing with any of the mouthwashes mentioned above. Your dentist will advise you which is best for you based on your needs, brushing habits, and dental work.