In order for your beloved dog to keep good breath, and of course, also for his health, his teeth and gums should be cleaned at least three times a week. Toothbrushes, in their different forms, require the best dental gel for dogs. For no reason should you give yours, as it can be toxic?
In addition, something you may not have known is that dog pasta is much richer than those that humans use and that is, they can taste like chicken or beef! In this guide, we will help you understand why your faithful friend needs good toothpaste, as well as the correct way to use it so that he can show off a perfect “smile”.
Our 5 Favorite Dental Gel For Dogs
Top 10 Best Dental Gel For Dogs
1. Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
- SOOTHING AND EFFECTIVE - Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dental Gel Toothpaste is a veterinarian formulated soothing and effective mix of aloe, neem oil, grapefruit seed extract, baking soda, and enzymes
- CLEANS AND FRESHENS - Freshens breath and gently cleans away plaque and tartar
- PART OF A HEALTHY REGIMEN - Supports your dog’s dental hygiene between annual cleanings at your vet’s office. Directions: Apply with a brush or rub with your finger on your pet’s teeth 2–3 times per week. For maximum results, allow no food or water 1/2 hour before and after application. Visit your veterinarian once a year for a professional cleaning
- NATURAL FLAVORS - Your dog will love the great taste. You will love how it brightens and whitens teeth while freshening the breath
- SAME FORMULA, NEW PACKAGE - The same great Vet’s Best dental gel is now available in an easy to use squeeze tube
Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dental Gel Toothpaste is a veterinarian formulated soothing and effective mix of aloe, neem oil, grapefruit seed extract, baking soda, and enzymes. Grapefruit seed extract contains certain components that destroy harmful bacteria and plaque while the aloe soothes irritated gums. This toothpaste isn’t just good for your dog, it’s gentle enough to use on even the smallest of pets—kittens and puppies.
2. TropiClean Oral Care Water Additive for Pets
- Fresh Breath Oral Care Water Additive provides dental defense against plaque & tartar on the teeth and noticeably fresher breath in 14 days or less with daily use as directed. Results may vary.
- Dental Health Solution is formulated with a unique blend of ingredients for a healthy mouth and clean teeth.
- A tasteless and odorless teeth cleaning solution that helps freshen breath when added to your dog's water twice daily.
- Carries Veterinary Oral Health Council Seal of Acceptance (VOHC) for plaque control and National Animal Supplement Council Quality Seal (NASC) for adhering to the highest quality standards.
- Simply add half capful of Oral Care Water Additive to your dog's 8oz water bowl, or 8 capfuls to your dog's 1 gallon water bowl twice daily. No brushing required!
TropiClean Oral Care Water Additive is a natural, easy way to help cats, dogs, and other pets remove plaque and tartar on their teeth while freshening breath. The effective formula is formulated with natural citrus extracts and xylitol, an all-natural sweetener. This veterinarian-recommended oral care product is available in a 4 ounce or 16-ounce bottle that is easily mixed into your pet’s drinking water each day. You can even add TropiClean Oral Care Water Additive to the dry food to make feeding dental defense even easier!
3. Virbac CET VEGGIEDENT FR3SH Tartar Control Chews for Dogs
- For medium dogs 22 to 66 pounds: Plant based chew with 3 way performance that cleans teeth, freshens breath, and supports proper digestion contains 30 chews per bag
- Cleans teeth: Just one chew daily reduces tartar and plaque, the oral causes of bad breath unique Z shape allows the chew to reach front to back and everywhere in between
- Freshens breath: Addresses oral causes of bad breath to freshen breath over the short and long term with a significant improvement from day one
- Supports proper digestion: Includes a prebiotic known to promote a balanced and healthy gut flora
- Trusted formula: Plant based, no meat ingredients, gluten free, and easily digestible Non GMO corn used, no artificial ingredients or chemicals, and moderate in calories. Each chew contains 75 kcal per chew
When your dog eats VEGGIEDENT FR3SH Tartar Control Chews, they will experience an improvement in their dental hygiene and fresh breath. It also provides support for their digestive health. VEGGIEDENT chews contain natural enzymes that help to clean your pet’s teeth, freshen their breath, and improve overall oral health. Each chew is made from a special plant-based formula that helps remove surface plaque and tartar buildup on teeth. This helps digestion and the overall well-being of your pet’s body.
4. Bodhi Dog Pet Dental Gel
- NEW THICKER FORMULA: Our alcohol-free Pet Dental Gel for dogs and cats reaches deep down to treat odor at the source. Our formula uses a blend of peppermint, spearmint, and aloe vera which gently yet effectively neutralizes odors. Help fight tartar and plaque to support healthy gums and teeth while whitening. Say goodbye to offensive dog breath!
- SIMPLE & EASY DENTAL CARE: Start a regular brushing routine for your pet with our neem-free Dental Gel. Your pet's licking action will mix saliva and gel to coat all oral surfaces and no need to rinse! Our pet toothpaste is great for administering at home and an easy way to combat dental issues and bad breath. Our dog toothpaste works well with the Bodhi Dog finger toothbrush or our dual-ended long toothbrush.
- IMPROVE ORAL & DENTAL HEALTH: Our doggie toothpaste helps maintain healthy teeth and gums. It reduces tartar buildup, controls plaque, helps to soothe gum irritation and keeps gums safe. It's easy to use dental care solutions for dogs and cats of all breeds and sizes, both small and large. Prevention is the best medicine! For best results for your furry friend use daily.
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our Dental Gel offers safe professional quality cat and dog oral care. Our formula uses the most effective oral cleaning agents and breath fresheners including peppermint, spearmint, and aloe vera extract. Veterinarians recommend regular brushing to keep your pet’s mouth healthy. We stand behind the quality of our products.
- OUR ETHICAL FAMILY COMMITMENT: Proudly made in the USA with locally sourced, sustainable ingredients and animal cruelty-free. Our socially responsible packaging is made with recycled materials and is biodegradable and eco-friendly. If you don't love our Pet Dental Gel, please let us know. We are a small family owned business of pet lovers committed to making great products that are safe for you, your pets and the planet!
Bodhi Dog Pet Dental Gel is a safe, natural way to fight bad dog breath with a great taste dogs love. A soothing blend of peppermint, spearmint, and aloe vera reaches deep down to neutralize odor-causing bacteria for fresh breath, healthy teeth and gums, and a clean mouth. By fighting plaque and tartar buildup, you help minimize the bacteria which cause gum disease.
5. Oxyfresh Premium Dog Toothpaste
- CLEAN PET TEETH & GUMS: Advanced plaque and tartar control cat and dog toothpaste is the ultimate way to clean pets’ teeth, fight gum problems, and help soothe and strengthen their gums.
- ELIMINATES DOG BAD BREATH: Say good-bye to bad dog breath with this fast-acting treatment that neutralizes odor at the source giving your best friend all day fresh breath.
- FRESH BREATH WITHOUT BRUSHING: That’s right - no more wrestling with pet toothbrushes! Just apply the brushless toothpaste directly along the gumline with your finger and let the pet dental care formula get to work.
- PERFECT FOR PICKY PETS: Our professional strength cat and dog teeth cleaning gel has zero flavor additives; we don't mask our pet toothpaste with mint or clove oil so pets love it.
- IT’S SAFE, NON-TOXIC & IT WORKS: Trusted by pet parents and veterinarians, our cat and dog dental treatments are made in the U.S.A. with only the highest quality ingredients; this is a pet dental gel that actually works!
Oxyfresh Premium Dog and Cat Toothpaste Gel is an effective professional strength formula that fights against plaque, tartar, and gingivitis while providing long-lasting fresh breath to your furry friends. This essential oil-based formula comes in a convenient pump, perfect for both dogs and cats alike. It features a refreshing spearmint flavor to ensure your beloved pet will stay kissable and lovable all day long. With its patented Health-Guard Complex, made up of Neem Seed Oil, Aloe Leaf Extract, Guggal Root Extract, Chick Pea Extract, Tea Tree Oil Extracts, and more, this toothpaste is safe for use on dogs of all ages, including puppies.
6. PetzLife Peppermint Oral Care Gel
- Safe alternative to achieving healthier teeth and gums
- Made with all natural, holistic ingredients
- Kills the bacteria that causes bad breath
- Safe for both cats and dogs of all breeds
- Made in the USA
The PetzLife Peppermint Oral Care Gel is an advanced and natural approach to maintaining your pet’s oral health. Made with all-natural, holistic ingredients, the PetzLife Peppermint Oral Care Gel is veterinarian recommended and will safely rid your pet of odor-causing bacteria and plaque. Safe for both cats and dogs of all breeds, the gel also contains eucalyptus oil, which has well-known antiseptic properties suited for cleaning wounds or preventing infections of any kind. With its liquid form that can be easily administered directly onto a pet’s dry food or treats to help stop odor at its source, the PetzLife Peppermint Oral Care Gel is a safe alternative to achieving a healthier mouth for your pet.
7. MAXIGUARD Dental Cleaning Gel for Animals
- Recommended for advanced periodontal cases, post surgery and pre and post prophy
- Supplements the time between vet cleanings
- Works with or without brushing
The MAXIGUARD Oral Cleansing Gel is a simple to use, effective product that has been recommended by Veterinarians and Pet Professionals everywhere. It cleans the teeth, gums, and tongue of your pet without causing plaque build-up or causing bleeding of the gums which are the leading causes of pet dental problems and periodontal disease. The MAXIGUARD Dental Cleaning System has been professionally developed for the natural health care veterinarian, breeder, and small animal furrier.
8. Pet King Brands Oratene Brushless Toothpaste Gel for Dogs and Cats
- Clear gel with a pleasant flavor that helps to keep your pet's teeth & gums clean & smelling fresh
- Easy to use; simply apply with a toothbrush or your finger - there's no need to brush or rinse away
- Our non-drying, brushless dental care is ideal for everyday use and doesn't cause excess salivation
- Free from xylitol, alcohol, detergents, and harsh chemicals for gentle and painless oral care
- 100% safe, non-toxic toothpaste gel works to support normal healthy oral hygiene in your dog or cat
Oratene Clear Gel Brushless Toothpaste is a patented formula designed to promote a healthier smile. Our gel works well with any type of toothbrush or saliva to provide gentle cleaning and prevent the formation of plaque and tartar. Oratene Brushless Toothpaste is a clinically proven, vet formulated, and tested toothpaste for dogs and cats that contains no added fluoride or peroxide.
9. Vetality Brush Free Oral Gel for Dogs
- No Brushing Required - Simply apply to your dog's gums for a constant cleaning and protection
- ProLong Technology Cleans Pets Teeth for a whole week
- Fights Bad Breath, Plaque and Tartar - Whitens and Brightens teeth
- Safe - Vet Approved ingredients
- Delicious chicken flavor pets love
The new Vitality Brush Free Oral Gel for Dogs helps fight bad breath, plaque, and tartar. This product cleans pets’ teeth for a whole week, which is longer than any other brushing method. ProLong Technology: Fight plaque and tartar, whiten your dog’s teeth and freshen their breath for a full 7 days. Safe for dogs – made with ingredients vets approve of (copolymer & pineapple extract), Prolong is safe, effective, and provides lasting results. Dogs love the taste of Chicken flavor too!
10. Nelson by Maxiguard Oral Gel
- Promotes oral health and helps eliminate bad breath by attacking the cause-bacterial by-products in the mouth.
Maxi Guard Oral Gel is a unique oral cleansing gel that cleanses and freshens with or without brushing. It contains zinc gluconate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), methylcellulose, and taurine. Maxi Guard Oral Gel is also enriched with F.D.&C. blue coloring that tastes great while providing a deep clean sensation in the mouth.
The Buyer’s Guide
How Is Dental Gel For Dogs?
Many dogs’ toothpaste tastes like chicken or beef, so they are usually tasty and enjoyable for them. Others have a mint flavor. In all cases, manufacturers seek to obtain a product that is tasty for your dog, in addition to properly cleaning his teeth and providing him with fresh breath, since if your dog likes pasta, it will be much easier to use it.
Toothpaste specially formulated for dogs have ingredients that are safe for them. They sometimes include mild abrasives, such as hydrated silica or baking soda, in just the right amounts to remove stains from teeth without damaging them.
Some dog toothpaste contains enzymes that react with saliva to produce antibacterial action. The enzyme used in enzyme pastes is glucosidase. They can also include a mixture of glucose oxidase and lactoperoxidase. These enzymes have antibacterial action and help reduce dental plaque and tartar.
In this way, bad breath and the appearance of oral diseases are fought.
Dogs don’t spit out pasta, so they will swallow it. Therefore, the ingredients of canine toothpaste are edible and safe for them.
Never use human dental gel on your dog, as it can be toxic to him. The human paste contains fluoride and other additives harmful to dogs. Among them, xylitol is particularly toxic, as small amounts cause drops in the dog’s blood sugar, and even liver failure.
How Should I Brush My Dog’s Teeth?
Brushing your dog’s teeth should be part of his grooming and grooming routine. Periodontal disease, gingivitis, gum inflammation or even tooth loss are hazards associated with the formation of tartar.
In addition, the poor condition of the dog’s teeth is also related to the appearance of kidney, liver, or heart diseases (you can consult the main diseases of dogs in our article)
Do not forget that the mouth is an important entry point for bacteria and if your dog has a broken tooth that opens a canal for them, he could even suffer from septicemia.
To brush your dog’s teeth, it is best to buy a specific brush for them, since they are designed to adapt perfectly to his mouth.
Getting your dog used to brushing his teeth can take a while. The first few times, let your dog taste some of the toothpaste, then gently massage his teeth with it. This will help you get used to the feeling. When he gets used to it, starts brushing his teeth in gentle, circular motions. Pay attention to the junction of the teeth with the gum.
It would be recommended that you brush your dog’s teeth every day since if you do it infrequently, you will not control oral diseases. If you can’t do it every day, do it at least two or three times a week, to ensure the effectiveness of the toothpaste. The entire process will not take you more than 30 or 60 seconds, so it is not complicated at all.
You can combine brushing with chew toys and dog treats designed for the dog to clean its teeth as it nibbles. Although they are not as effective as brushes, they are an effective tool for maintaining your dog’s dental health.
What Should I Keep In Mind When Buying Dental Gel For My Dog?
When you buy a dental gel for your dog, you will have to take into account a series of characteristics:
- Removal of Dental Plaque: Your dog’s dental gel should be able to remove or reduce your dog’s dental plaque and tartar. In this way, you will avoid the proliferation of harmful bacteria, which in addition to causing diseases, contribute to the appearance of bad breath.
- Enzymatic: Some toothpastes for dogs contain a mixture of enzymes that are very effective in removing dental plaque and tartar.
- Without Foaming Agents: Your dog’s dental gel should be free of foaming agents, so your dog can swallow it without difficulty.
- Flavor and Palatability: It is important that the taste of the dental gel is pleasant for your dog. Therefore, you should try to find a quality dental gel that your dog likes. In this way, the moment of dental cleaning will be more pleasant for him. In the market you will find a wide range of flavors, from mint to poultry or beef, among others.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Dental Gel For Dogs?
According to my research, Natural Dog Treats Toothbrush and Dental gel Set for Dogs, 100% Natural Rubber Dog Brushing Stick, Chew Toy, Tall Large are better choices.
Is Natural Dog Treats a Trustworthy Brand?
It is one of the best brands, not only is it the highest-rated dog toothpaste but it is also known for its exceptional service.
What Is The Cheapest But Most Powerful Dog Toothpaste?
In my opinion, Virbac CET Enzymatic dental gel for Dogs and Cats (Poultry) is one of the cheapest options available and yet it is full-featured.
Are There Any Offers?
Some of the options in our article are currently available for a discounted price. However, see the product list for more information.
What Brands Should I Consider When Buying?
According to my research, these are the top five brands: Natural Dog Treats, The Healthy Dog Co, Natural Dog Treats, Pets Purest, and Smart Bundles.
Should I Buy It Online or Go To an Offline Store?
Shopping online has some advantages, such as discounted prices and fast home delivery. However, if you are in a hurry or can find the product at a cheaper price in the traditional market, consider visiting the traditional store.
Good smell, white teeth, and lower risk of disease. Just as you brush your teeth because you know that it is the perfect area for bacteria to enter your body, do the same with your dog. In addition, a mouth that lacks hygiene can become very painful and can lead to more serious problems in internal organs.
So, for your pet to be healthy and maintain its precious teeth for many years, use dental gel two to three times a week, supplemented with other products intended for oral hygiene such as a brush, cleansing snacks or mouthwashes. There are many flavors and different ingredients. Don’t use your paste because it is toxic to them.
We hope this guide to dog toothpaste has been helpful to you. We would love to read your opinion and personal experiences. And, if you liked it, share!