When deciding on a sperm test, there are many possible options to consider. Will you do an at-home male fertility test or contact a lab for a sperm analysis? Do you prefer to work with a medical professional in person or accept the convenience of shipping off a sample to a lab? Do you want the highest degree of accuracy or will you settle for accuracy that is likely, but not guaranteed? Our review and comparison chart below may help you decide which one best fits your needs and budget.
Best at Home Male Fertility Test Reviews
1. FertilMARQ Fertility Home Test Kit for Men
FertilMARQ Fertility Home Test Kit for Men lets you know when your sperm is healthy enough to conceive a baby, and the results are 99% accurate. This fertility testing kit is ideal for couples who are having trouble conceiving but have not yet visited a doctor. With an easy-to-use home test kit, men can find out their sperm count at home, instead of waiting for days or weeks in a clinic.
Know your count
Going to a doctor’s office for testing can be uncomfortable and expensive, which is why FertilMARQ is a terrific option for couples trying to conceive. The test is scientifically proven and trusted by urologists and fertility specialists.
Lower the temperature, the Higher the count
Sperm are very sensitive to temperature and need to remain a few degrees cooler than the rest of your body. Testicular cooling has been shown to DOUBLE the sperm count.
Get your squad ready
Our men’s fertility pills supply your body with the necessary vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids to boost sperm count and motility, and optimize sperm health, which naturally increases the chances of pregnancy.
2. YO Home Sperm Test for Apple iPhone
- ACCURATE and DOCTOR RECOMMENDED - This home test provides results with greater than 97% accuracy in clinical trials. It’s fast, reliable, and the most proven home fertility semen analysis on the market today. These results are based on the World Health Organizations 5th Edition standards. His and Hers Fertility Tools Included!
- TEST YOUR SPERMS MOTILITY - This amazing product can instantly record and display moving, living viable sperm, which is considered more vital and important than a total spermcheck using strips. If they can't make the swim, they can't meet the Egg!
- PRIVATE, FAST & EASY - The YO Home Sperm app guides you through the testing process with simple instructions. The test takes less than 30 minutes and results include a live video of your moving sperm. Delivering a sperm sample at the doctor's office is nerve wracking and awkward, to say the least. Yo Home Sperm kit includes 4 (FOUR) in home test kits. Additional refill tests are also available for repeated usage. Contact an Expert Feature Allows you to Find a Local Fertility Specialist.
- FDA CLEARED - This FDA cleared product was developed by Medical Electronic Systems, the world leader in commercial grade automated semen analyzers used in hospitals, free standing labs, urology clinics, sperm banks, and fertility centers across the globe. Remember, it all started with a sperm!
- COMPATIBLE WITH: Apple iPhone IOS 11 and above, Android 6 and above, PC Windows 7 or above, MAC OS version 10.14 (Mojave) and above. Not recommended for Post Vas Testing.
YO Home Sperm Test kits have been proven to be the most accurate and reliable at-home semen analysis on the market today. These results are based on the World Health Organization 5th Edition standards.
The YO Sperm Check provides motility results in just 20 seconds and is based on sperm that can swim upstream. Your YO Foofoo Bottle (Includes FREE Couple’s Guide) provides 24 hrs of collecting live sperm that meet W.H.O guidelines for men with low sperm counts, including how to increase them naturally at home!
A YO Score between 10 and 30 (reported in intervals of 10) means your Motile Sperm Concentration is higher than 10% to 30% of men who have fathered a child, which is classified as MODERATE. With a YO Score in this range, it may take longer to achieve a pregnancy than someone with a higher YO Score. The YO App provides detailed improvement recommendations based on this result.
A YO Score under 10 indicates a Motile Sperm Concentration below the World Health Organization reference range cutoff of 6 Million per milliliter. Although it only takes one sperm to achieve a pregnancy, it is unlikely that normal conception will occur easily with a YO Score under 10. The YO App provides detailed recommendations on contacting an expert based on this result.
A YO Score between 40 and 60 (reported in intervals of 10) means your Motile Sperm Concentration is higher than 40% to 60% of men who have fathered a child, which is classified as AVERAGE. If you receive a YO Score in this range and are trying to conceive, it is important to maintain and improve your ranking. The YO App provides fertility focused lifestyle recommendations to assist.
A YO Score between 70 and 90 (reported in intervals of 10) means your Motile Sperm Concentration is higher than 70% to 90% of men who have fathered a child, which is classified as HIGH. Your chances of achieving a pregnancy are higher than most men’s, and it’s important to maintain your fertility potential if trying to conceive. The YO App will offer recommendations to assist.
3. Homedics SwimCount at-Home Sperm Quality Check
- PATENTED TECHNOLOGY: SwimCount is the only at-home fertility test that measures progressive motility (ProMo), the #1 most important indicator of sperm quality
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Designed to spot superior sperm, SwimCount only compiles counts of sperm that mimic the same natural path it would take to fertilize an egg. Clinically proven with 91% accuracy for results you can trust
- PRIVATE TESTING: No need to make appointments or visit a lab, test in the privacy of your own home at your convenience. Discreetly packaged so you can feel comfortable and confident collecting
- MINIMAL WAIT TIME: View your test results in as little as 30 minutes through our FDA cleared process. Easy, accurate and fast, SwimCount provides you with real-time facts on your male fertility with an online resource section for support if needed
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX: (1) SwimCount Sperm Quality Test Device, (1) Collection Cup, (1) Transfer Syringe, English and Spanish Instruction Manuals
SwimCount was developed to provide an accurate measurements of your MOTILE sperm count. We’re not just looking for swimmers, but swimmers that can actually complete the task at hand. Our patented process has not only been cleared by the FDA but it is Clinically Proven to provide ACCURATE results. In just 30 minutes you will know your next steps.
It’s a Guy Thing, Too
New studies show that in approximately 40% of infertile couples, the male partner is either the sole cause or a contributing cause of infertility.
Sperm Count Crisis
Sperm concentration has declined more than 50% worldwide from 1973 to 2011, with no evidence of leveling off.
80% of infertile men have sperm with low ProMo, or abnormal morphology (size and shape).
4. Clearblue Fertility Monitor Test Sticks
- The Clearblue Fertility Test Sticks help you get pregnant faster*. Must be used together with the Clearblue Fertility Monitor.
- The Clearblue Fertility Monitor is the most advanced home monitor that's designed to identify all your fertile days**, typically up to 6 each cycle
- Patented technology tracks and evaluates not one but two key hormone levels (LH and E3G)
- Suitable for women with cycles 21-42 days long
- 30 test sticks for 3 cycles of use with the Clearblue Fertility Monitor available with, or without, a Touch Screen (monitor sold separately)
For use with the Clearblue Fertility Monitor, the Clearblue Fertility Monitor Test Stick pack includes 30 individually wrapped test sticks. The majority of women who are trying to get pregnant will need 10 test sticks each cycle. Women with irregular or long cycles may have to use 20 test sticks each cycle.
The Clearblue Fertility Monitor comes from the #1 OB-GYN ovulation recommended brand*** and is proven to increase the chances of getting pregnant by 82% in the first cycle of use*. It’s designed to identify all your fertile days, typically up to 6, which is more days than traditional ovulation predictor kits.
This discrete, feminine, handheld fertility monitor tracks two key fertility hormones, estrogen, and luteinizing hormone, it shows your fertility information on the easy to use the touch screen as well as summarizes up to 6 cycles of data on one screen for easy comparison.
Easy to use and read
The hand-held, intuitive touch screen Monitor is easy to use and gives you clear, accurate results.
Detects more fertile days
The Monitor tracks two key fertility hormones, luteinizing hormone (LH) and estrogen, to pinpoint your two Peak fertility days plus additional High fertility days prior to ovulation. The number of fertile days the Monitor identifies will be personal to you and varies from woman to woman and cycle to cycle based on your individual hormone profile.
Adapts to your cycle, stores your data
Use the Monitor to record when you have your period and when you have sex. This information and your fertility data appear on the device’s calendar. Up to 6 cycles of your data are stored, and the unique cycle summary provides key information for your OB/GYN.
Provides your daily fertility status
The Monitor reads your individual hormone levels to show your personal fertility status as Low, High or Peak each day. So you can plan ahead and maximize your chances of getting pregnant naturally.
5. Spermcheck Fertility Home Test Kit for Men
- PROVEN-ACCURATE HOME SPERM TEST KIT: SpermCheck Fertility uses scientifically-proven lateral-flow immunoassay technology to indicate normal or low sperm count in males, with an accuracy rate of over 98% in clinical trials.
- RELIABLE & TRUSTED: With over 500,000 tests sold worldwide since 2010, our home sperm-count kit is a widely-trusted, convenient, and affordable tool for couples trying to conceive. Post-vasectomy patients, please use SpermCheck Vasectomy.
- CONVENIENT, PRIVATE, & FAST: The SpermCheck Fertility male fertility test makes it easy and affordable for men to check sperm count quickly and discreetly in the comfort of home—in just 30 minutes or less.
- EASY TO USE: Step-by-step illustrated instructions walk you through the simple sperm-test process from start to finish, so you can be sure you’re performing it correctly—no expensive gadgetry needed.
- FSA/FHA-ELIGIBLE: It is recommended that men test their sperm count every few months while trying to conceive. SpermCheck is FSA/FHA-eligible, making following a testing schedule even more affordable.
The SpermCheck Fertility home test kit is designed to tell you if you’re near-infertile or infertile with an accuracy rate of over 98% in clinical trials. It uses scientifically-proven lateral-flow immunoassay technology to indicate normal or low sperm count in males, with a simple process of inserting the test strip into your urine stream for a reading within five minutes.
Easy to Read Results
Positive (Normal): If you see both a Control Line (marked as “C”) and a Test Line (marked as “T”), your count is considered a healthy threshold for male fertility.
Negative (Low): If you see a Control Line only (marked as “C”), but not a Test Line (marked as “T”) your sperm count is low, which can be an indicator of male infertility.
Private and Accurate
SpermCheck Fertility is the perfect first step for couples that is trying to conceive but may be experiencing fertility issues. The test is trusted by urologists and fertility specialists – and you can perform the test in the privacy and comfort of your home.
How to Choose the Best at Home Male Fertility Test
Are Fertility Tests Done at Home Worth It?
Take the results of at-home fertility tests with a grain of salt. Hormone testing is one aspect of your overall health and capacity to conceive, but it is only one part of the picture. They’re useful if you want to know if your hormone levels are balanced or if your sperm is healthy. They should not, however, be taken as 100% correct.
Ultrasounds of your ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus can help your doctor assess your overall health and provide you with a better picture of your fertility. They can also test a greater number of hormones than many home fertility tests. Although sperm analysis in males may be normal, there may be other factors at play, such as a hereditary issue that makes pregnancy more difficult.
While home fertility tests can be more convenient for people who want more privacy or don’t want to travel to the clinic, use them with caution and keep in mind that fertility is about much more than hormones.
Comparing Male Fertility Tests Done at Home
There are many different types of home fertility tests available, and not all of them are created equal. When picking which test to take, keep the following factors in mind:
Some tests can be costly, depending on your budget. To see if you can obtain a better deal, look for subscriptions or promo codes.
Time to get results: Most results are available within seven business days, although some are accessible sooner.
Not all test kits are available in every state, so make sure you can get one shipped to your location. Some companies also refuse to ship to PO boxes.
Methods used as examples:
The majority of tests rely on blood or urine samples (or semen for men). If you don’t want to prick your finger, a urine test can be a better option.
When it comes to home testing, convenience is crucial, so seek ones that are straightforward to use and have clear instructions.
You may want to test a specific hormone for ovulation, such as LH, or as many as possible to get a general understanding of your fertility.
Ordering a Fertility Test Kit for At-Home Use
The majority of at-home tests can be ordered directly from the company’s website. The kits take several days to arrive, and some must be pre-registered by going into your account and entering a registration number included on the packaging. Instructions are supplied, and some companies’ websites also include photos and extra collection information. It takes a few days for a doctor to review the results after you return the kit. You can access your results via a secure web gateway.
How accurate are at-home male fertility tests?
All of the at home test kits appear to be about 95-97 percent accurate compared to the results of using the standard semen analysis testing in the laboratory.
What is the most accurate male fertility test?
Semen analysis is the most common, and usually the first, way to determine male fertility. It can tell the form, concentration, volume, and motility, or movement, of your sperm.
How can a man tell if he is fertile?
A trained expert checks your sperm count, shape, movement, and other characteristics. In general, if you have a higher number of normal-shaped sperm, it means you have higher fertility. But there are plenty of exceptions to this. A lot of guys with low sperm counts or abnormal semen are still fertile.
The best at home male fertility test relies on the levels of testosterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), and FSH. These hormones are produced in the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. The LH surges about 60 minutes before the man ejaculates. These 3 hormones balance each other out so when one increases, another decreases to a normal level. If any of these is abnormal it could mean that you are infertile. The best at-home male fertility test is comprised of 4 steps: a collection of the first morning urine, adding drops of urine to the reagent pad or disc, waiting for the color change to occur, and evaluating results against the score chart included with the kit purchase.