Ankle sprains are one of the most common injury people have to deal with in their lives. This happens due to the fact that they are a lot more flexible than any other joint in our body and they are under constant pressure when we run, jump, walk and move around. Ankle braces are amazing devices that came into being after it was observed that athletes and regular people who had to go through many different physical activities were suffering from ankle sprains. Back then, medical science did not know much regarding what caused these injuries, how to prevent them, or even how to treat them. Ankles are fairly complex joints comprised of many smaller bones and ligaments which make them easier to injure. Stabilizing the lower part of your leg ensures that you won’t hurt yourself badly or be forced into long periods of recovery and inability (which can end up derailing your athletic career or even just your daily life activities).
Best Ankle Brace For Sprain Reviews:
1. Aircast A60 Ankle Support Brace
|Specific Uses For Product||Sprain|
|Size||Medium (Pack of 1)|
|Color||Black (Right Foot)|
Designed with the athlete in mind, the Aircast A60 Ankle Support Brace offers a mild level of support, making it ideal for individuals suffering from chronic ankle instabilities or those looking to prevent an ankle injury. A single strap replaces time-consuming lacing, making it easy to apply in seconds. It features Breath-O-Prene fabric which enables your foot to stay cool and dry during use. This ankle support brace incorporates a stabilizer located on either side of the ankle, which is molded at a 60-degree angle to help guard against ankle sprains and rollovers. It provides support at the weakest point of the ankle, yet allows for normal dorsiflexion and plantar-flexion (bending). This ankle support brace has a low-profile structure, allowing for minimal bulk while wearing shoes. Universal design is intended for both men and women.Latex free.
- Provides a mild level of support, making it ideal for individuals suffering from chronic ankle instabilities or those looking to prevent an ankle injury
- Incorporates a stabilizer located on either side of the ankle, which is molded at a 60-degree angle to help guard against ankle sprains and rollovers
- Supports the weakest point of the ankle, yet allows for normal dorsiflexion and plantar-flexion (bending). Health Concern: Bone & Joint Health
- A single strap replaces time-consuming lacing, making it easy to apply; Features Breath-O-Prene fabric which enables your foot to stay cool and dry during use. Lightweight
- Low-profile structure allows for minimal bulk while wearing shoes; Universal design is intended for both men and women – Breathable fabric provides cool and dry comfort
2. The Coldest Foot Ankle Achilles Pain Relief Ice Wrap
|Insole Type||Comfort Insole|
|Size||3 Piece Set|
|Brand||The Coldest Water|
Most products you have are average. We hate that. When we build a product, we look to re-think how we can do it better, colder and more superior. We are an elite team of engineers based in Naples, Florida working day and night to invent the coldest, most superior products. 5 years later, and many legal things filed, The Coldest Ankle Ice Pack was born. Some call it ‘game-changing’ but we just want to build products we are proud of, that we love and use every day, which ultimately, create less waste for the planet.
- ANKLE AND FOOT COLD THERAPY- Specially built for faster recovery, soreness, injuries, sprains
- GEL ICE PACK WRAP FOR ANKLE – Gel Ice Pack is flexible and forms around your entire ankle and foot. Cold therapy is powerful and efficiently helps with arthritis, ankle sprain, ankle twist, ankle injuries, foot injuries
- FASTER ANKLE FOOT RECOVERY – Hands-free Application of Ice & Compression Therapy. Get back out there faster by reducing the pain from swelling
- FLEXIBLE, REUSABLE, AND MOLDS TO FOOT ANKLE – for ankle foot sports injuries, ankle soreness, sprains, strains, ankle, sprains and strains, arthritis, sports injuries, surgery
- LONG-LASTING ICE PACKS FOR ANKLE – Deploys Coldest Webbing Technology. Our custom webbing allows for improved cold transfer to the ankle. Stays colder longer for better alleviating pain around muscles, joints, and tendons on your knee. Cold Compression for Injury and Post-Surgery.
3. PowerLix Ankle Brace Compression Support Sleeve (Pair) for Injury Recovery
PowerLix has taken the time to develop a specialized fabric blend with 4-way stretch capability, offering all-around superior protection and support above and beyond what you’ve experienced before! The breathable fabric, absorbing sweat quickly and keeps your feet dry and odor-free, allowing you hours of continuous use!
PowerLix designs, manufacture and market sports medicine, sports protection and performance apparel for active people and athletes. PowerLix products address the broad range and specific needs of professional, collegiate and all athletes across a variety of sports.
- Phenomenal Protection: PowerLix ankle braces apply even pressure across your ankle joint, which provides ultimate pain relief from a variety of ailments including plantar fasciitis, arthritis, sprains, swelling, tendonitis, muscle fatigue, and other ankle pain. With our sleeves, you’ll be able to tackle any activity life throws your way while ensuring you’re a step ahead in injury prevention! Please take a look at our sizing chart and find the best size for you!
- Push Yourself to the Limit! Our ankle supports are the perfect fit for any activity requiring ankle movement, including baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, hiking, running, tennis, volleyball and more! You’ll be able to enjoy exceptional ankle support while still maintaining your peak performance and a full range of leg motion!
- Premium Quality: Our ankle sleeves are manufactured to provide superior support, comfort, and relief without compromising your mobility. Tight, form-fitting and breathable compression fabric maintains joint stability regardless of activity, helps improve blood circulation and eases pain from heel spurs, Achilles tendon heel, etc., while avoiding the itchiness common to neoprene supports. They’re quick at absorbing sweat and keep your feet dry and odor free, gives you hours of continuous use!
- Breathtaking Design & Perfect Fit: Whether you’ve got meaty ankles, or are a little bit slender, we’ve got a fit for you with the special knitted technical design that matches different joints. The beautiful design of the sleeves in a variety of colors makes you look fashionable anywhere, anytime. The special fabric gives you a smooth and soft feel so you can wear them all day long!
- 100% Money Back Guarantee: We truly want you to be happy with your new ankle braces and our professional customer service will do whatever it takes to ensure your satisfaction. We are offering a 6-month guarantee, no questions asked.
4. Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace for Injury Prevention
|Specific Uses For Product||Sprain|
|Sport||Volleyball, Basketball, Football|
Volleyball requires repetitive jumping and landing activities, and this can cause several problems in your ankle, such as Ankle Sprain or Achilles Tendonitis. Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace provides adequate support to your ankle that helps to prevent such injuries. This brace is very much secure compared to other braces, and this is the best brace you can get for Volleyball.
- Prevent future injuries and protect your ankle from sprains with this supportive and secure brace. The Ultra Zoom ankle brace is on your ankle in seconds, protects you for hours, and lasts for years.
- This ankle brace can be put on in seconds, yet allows you to move freely in all the natural ways, without the stiffness of other braces. You’ll play better and play more, losing less time to injuries.
- High-tech materials including a hinged-cuff design allows full range of motion for long lasting ankle support and performance. Soft shell technology is extremely form-fitting and offers multi-season durability.
- The Ultra Zoom is ideal for athletes who play volleyball (club, youth, professional), basketball, football or anyone who wants to help prevent ankle injuries without restricting their performance.
- SIZING: Reference size chart in photos and measure by ankle circumference. DO NOT base off of shoe size – even if you have a long foot you might wear a Small/Medium brace. Fits right or left ankle. Sold in single units, NOT pairs.
5. DonJoy Stabilizing Pro Ankle Support Brace
|Size||Medium (Pack of 1)|
|Unit Count||1 Count|
The DonJoy Stabilizing Pro Ankle Support Brace is designed to meet the needs of demanding athletes everywhere. This ankle support brace features 800D ballistic nylon and a reinforced eyelet area for outstanding performance and durability. Features a traditional lace-up design and is accompanied by figure-8 strapping. This locks the calcaneus (heel bone) into place and controls inversion/eversion. A full circumferential elastic strap secures the strapping and provides added tibia/fibula compression. Removable, articulated medial/lateral stays enhance proprioception (body position awareness) and stability. The lightweight, low-profile design allows the ankle support brace to easily fit inside your shoe. Universal fit allows the DonJoy Stabilizing Pro Ankle Support Brace to be worn on either the left or right foot.
- A lightweight, low-profile design allows this ankle support brace to easily fit inside your shoe
- Features 800D ballistic nylon and a reinforced eyelet area for outstanding performance and durability.Latex free
- Full circumferential elastic strap secures the strapping and provides added tibia/fibula compression.Hand wash with mild soap in lukewarm water. Rinse thoroughly. AIR DRY
- Removable, articulated medial/lateral stays enhance proprioception (body position awareness) and stability.
6. Med Spec ASO Ankle Stabilizer
|Unit Count||1 count|
The ASO Ankle Stabilizer is the ankle brace of choice for numerous professional and collegiate athletes. The ASO is also one of the most recommended ankle supports by athletic trainers, orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists. The ASO is one of the leading ankle braces on the market due to its unique combination of comfort, support and durability. The contoured tongue provides exceptional fit and is constructed of light-weight yet durable CoolFlex material.
This material also lines the inside back of the boot, providing increased comfort to the Achilles area. The boot has an invisible seam to provide superior comfort. The shoe lace is attached to the tongue to ensure that the lace is always centered. Finger loops at the end of the stabilizing straps assist in securing straps for optimum support. The ASO is manufactured to high quality standards in the United States of America by Medical Specialties.
- Stabilizing Straps form complete figure-eight to protect and support ankle
- Ballistic nylon boot provides superior durability and strength
- Elastic cuff closure enhances support and keeps laces and stabilizing straps secure
- Bilateral design so each size will fit left or right foot; Low profile to fit in any type of shoe
- Each ankle brace is sold separately; US manufacturing with higher quality control standards
7. Actesso Ankle Support Sleeve with Strap
|Size||L (Pack of 1)|
|Material||Rubber 50%, Polyurethane 10%, Nylon 40%, (Contains Latex)|
Running requires repetitive and fast movements of your ankle joints, and your ankles are under continuous stress during running. This can result in Achilles Tendonitis.
Actesso Ankle Support Sleeve provides support to your ankle during running and hence prevents this problem. This brace also provides compression to your ankle area and thus helps in minimizing swelling and pain relief.
- Provides ankle support and helps to reduce the risk of further injury. This ankle support helps to protect the ankle joint from injury when playing sports such as football, netball, basketball and when running.
- Support & Relief – Your ankle strap alleviates pain caused by a sprained ankle, fracture or tendonitis helping you to get back on your feet sooner.
- Strengthened Support – Utilises adjustable cross straps to apply a more custom fit. This helps to supply the optimum amount of compression to the ankle joint.
- Lightweight Design – This support is lightweight and breathable and fits perfectly into shoes and boots. Go on your run pain and irritation free.
- Easy Sizing – Simply measure around and above your ankle in centimetres. Small (19-22). Medium (22-25). Large (25-28). Can be used by men and women and on both the left and right ankle.
Benefits of Ankle Braces
If you’re still not convinced, here are the foremost benefits of wearing ankle braces:
We can’t stress the importance of wearing ankle braces enough to prevent ankle injuries. While ankle injuries are most often more easily recovered and not as complicated as injuries to the wrists for example, there are still a few factors that you should look out for.
There are seven tarsal bones in an ankle that give you the flexibility to move. The main motion of the ankle joint is flexion and extension, and ankle braces provide an external restriction for motions that can cause acute injuries. With proper ankle support, it helps keep everything in place and significantly reduces any chances of injuries and sprains.
An ankle injury often limits your movement, and if you put weight on it before it has fully healed, it can reaggravate the injury.
Using an ankle brace helps improve blood circulation and reduce swelling in your ankles and feet. It alleviates pain and provides your feet the extra support it needs to heal quickly. It also helps control acute and chronic ankle injury symptoms, and if you have had an injury in the past, it keeps it from reaggravating.
Many foot and ankle conditions can limit your movement and flexibility. This can include issues such as sprains, arthritis, inflammation, tendonitis, ankle fractures, and more. Wearing an ankle brace can help you move a little easier and keep your symptoms under control, giving you the confidence boost you need to walk and move without stress.
Features to Consider Before Buying Best Ankle Brace For Sprain
Did you find a lace-up ankle brace intriguing? However, you cannot buy them without understanding the reasons that make them unique. There are numerous functionalities that you can harness from these ankle braces.
If you want to discover the best lace-up ankle brace, you need to consider the following features:
You will find multiple options that would claim to be durable and effective. However, the best fabric would be neoprene and nylon. Both of them offer a robust structure to your chosen ankle brace.
You can use a nylon brace for daily use because of the long-lasting effect. Similarly, a neoprene brace will keep the structure intact even after multiple uses.
If you get a durable ankle brace, you will surely get prolonged use out of it. Along with that, your ankle will heal quicker because of the effectiveness it possesses. So, always look for durability in your lace-up ankle braces.
What if you cannot secure the ankle brace on your feet? To prevent that from happening, you will need a lace-up ankle brace that is customizable.
It will ensure that your foot size stays secured and snuggled in the product. This prevents it from sliding off while moving around. Therefore, you need to find these braces that feature some kind of tie option.
It would be best to invest in a brace that comes with an adjustable strap. Indeed, your ankle will remain secure, and you will feel relaxed while wearing it.
Breathability translates to ventilation, and you can only achieve that if you choose an ankle brace that provides it. Some products have a gel infusion that keeps moisture away and locks in heat for reducing the pain.
You need to look for ankle braces that offer extra ventilation without compromising on support.
You can choose products that have a synthetic mesh with a breathable feature embedded in them. Therefore, you will have a lasting experience that will be comfortable and therapeutic.
The main reason behind choosing such a versatile and flexible brace is to keep your body maneuverable. Hence, considering the performance, you will get from these products is important.
It would be best to look for a lace-up ankle brace that offers unique grip, strength, and stability.
Most of the lace-up braces have been manufactured while keeping optimal functionality for athletes in mind. Due to this, you will not have hindrance in your daily performance.
Even so, you should look at the contour effect on these ankle braces to determine an enhanced performance.
Being a first-timer in wearing lace-up ankle braces can be daunting. The mechanism might seem too complicated for you. Therefore, to ease your wearing process, you should look for products that offer a user manual with them.
You can even choose a lace-up ankle brace that looks easy to use and wear!
Types of Ankle Brace
Let’s take a look at different types of ankle brace so we can pick the most suitable one
Compression Ankle Brace or Sleeves
This is the simplest ankle brace, and it is commonly made up of neoprene or some elastic material. As the name indicates, the primary purpose of this type of ankle brace is to provide compression to the ankle area.
This helps in minimizing the swelling. This brace does not restrict any ankle motion, wearing this, you can move your ankle freely for daily activities.
One can easily wear this brace, and it has a universal fit for either right or left ankle. This brace is most commonly used for mild ankle sprains.
Semi-rigid Ankle Brace
A semi-rigid brace is more rigid than a compression brace and it can provide more support to your ankle.
These braces are most commonly used for mild to moderate ankle sprains, The two most common sub-types of the semi-rigid brace are Lace-up and Hinged ankle braces.
Lace-up Ankle Brace
The Lace-up braces are designed to limit both the side-to-side and upward-downward ankle motions.
Some lace-up braces give you an option to insert plastic or metal components that provides added support to the ankle.
Hinged Ankle Brace
A hinged brace is a sub-type of the semi-rigid brace, designed to limit only the side-to-side motions of your ankle, comparing with the Lace-Up brace, a hinged brace gives your ankle more freedom of movement.
They also have padded support for comfort purposes and are easy to wear with the help of velcro straps.
Rigid Ankle Brace
The Rigid brace is made of hard material that extends to both sides of your ankle, it is the most rigid (as the name indicates) and widely used in sports.
This brace is most commonly used for moderate to severe ankle sprains, stress fractures of small ankle bones, and chronic repetitive ankle sprains.
Compared with other types of braces, the rigid brace provides maximum support, protection, and least mobility.
Level of Support and Mobility
Picking up an ankle brace is easy if you are well aware of the purpose of wearing an ankle brace. Every one of us has different needs and activity levels, and that’s why an ankle brace that is suitable for one person may not be perfect for another person.
There are few essential points that you should be sure about while picking up an ankle brace.
- The amount of compression you need for minimizing your swelling.
- The mobility and support level you need for your ankle joint
- The direction in which you need to restrict your ankle’s motion.
- The need for immobilizing your ankle.
Let’s make it easy for you.
- Do you need a brace for a mild ankle sprain that helps to minimize the swelling free while keeping your ankle mobile? You can go for a compression brace or sleeves.
- Do you need a brace that not only provides support to your ankle but also limits joint motion in side-to-side direction as well as upward and downward direction? You can pick up the lace-up brace.
- Have you recently suffered from a lateral ankle sprain and need a brace that prevents your ankle from rolling to the side? A hinged brace is an option you should choose.
- Suppose you had a devastating injury that has torn your ligament/ligaments or ankle bones to the extent that they need to be immobilized for a certain period to assist in the healing process (fracture). In that case, a rigid brace should be used.
FAQs: Best Ankle Brace For Sprain
What is the Functionality of a Lace-up Ankle Brace?
Answer: A lace-up ankle brace will help people with ankle pains maneuver around without feeling the pain. Ideally, such braces are used by athletes for various sports types that require a lot of leg movement. Therefore, it prevents them from having any degree of injuries and helps heal persistent ones.
These braces are softer and have customizable options, meaning that they will help you comfortably.
The laces tighten the brace on your ankle and immobilize it. Some use compression techniques to reduce swelling, but it will not restrict all motion.
Will a Lace-up Ankle Brace Work?
Answer: A lace-up ankle brace will restrict joint motion without hampering movement. Due to this, you can go about your daily activities without worrying about ankle pain. Moreover, it works by keeping your ankle pain supported and reducing it effectively.
Indeed, restricting the natural movement makes your ankle less likely to get sprained or hurt during any mishaps. Therefore, it offers you optimal support and breathability.
Why are Lace-up Ankle Braces Effective?
Answer: These braces offer maximum movement due to their soft structure. Therefore, you will be safeguarding your feet from any acute ankle injuries. It is effective due to the durable material used in its production.
Indeed, the breathable feature also helps in maintaining effectiveness. In addition, the contoured anatomy sets perfectly with your feet and lowers the risk of getting extreme injuries when you have weak joints.
Some braces are more effective than others because of the presence of high-end materials.
Why is Overuse of Lace-up Ankle Braces Bad?
Answer: Ideally, these are great as a preventive mechanism for active people. However, for those who do not walk around much, overuse can be fatal.
Using it daily will affect the strength and balance of your ankle. It minimizes the natural movement and support in your feet. Consequently, your ankle will become weaker and risk severe injuries.
When Should You Wear a Lace-up Ankle Brace?
Answer: Injuries like a sprained ankle will call for the usage of this product. Furthermore, people suffering from joint pain or chronic muscle sprains will find lace-up ankle braces effective and suitable.
People dealing with arthritis and tendonitis should also use lace-up ankle braces when required.
We hope to have helped you make the right decision in choosing the best ankle brace for your needs. As we mentioned earlier, some options are more suitable for athletic activities, while others tend to be more comfortable and flexible in daily use. For the complete guide to ankle sprains where you can find reliable information about these painful injuries, click here.